View Single Post
Old 2013-12-15, 09:28   Link #745
Fwarlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Used Can View Post
Sure, but we're not talking about real life here, but about fantasy. And this is the type of fantasy that follows the Hero and Demon Lord gimmick.
Emilia could have been developed into a good hero, but the author has decided to keep her as a gag character who seems unable to accomplish anything on her own instead.

But the whole development was precisely to achieve this.
And even then her predicament when she was blackmailed by Orba doesn't make her any less of a hero, since she is still human and any other person would have found himself in the same position.

This is why I'm saying this is shitty writing, since the whole approach could have been different.

What's the BO-SO-ZOKU joke I keep seeing around?
Actually, I fail to see how Emi could be anything other than a gag character who can't do anything on her own and only exist to get bully by others. She is just a countryside girl without any idea, believe or philosophy. Her original reason for fighting is vengeance, she don't even understand the concept of heroism, she doesn't fight for any great good. And when it turned out that the person she was desperately trying to avenge still is safe and sound, her determination to fight ceased to exist.
That also the reason why Emi could be blackmail so easily. A true hero will never succumb to evil and can be blackmail by no one because he only serve the greater good and make it his first priority before anything else. Those who fail to do that can never call themselves heroes.