View Single Post
Old 2013-03-08, 11:48   Link #60
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
Again though, asserting that Akane understands Makishima any better does not seem quite right either. She doesn't understand the mind of a sociopath like Makishima.
She understands him well enough to have imaginary conversations with him.

Quote:
Yes, but that one aspect is what has been touched upon repeatedly in this show. Gen hasn't really given much focus to Sibyl's other flaws. Unless you want to ignore the narrative that is...
The narrative being that the Sibyl System is flawed? That's been touched on in every episode, and we keep finding new problems with it. This week's new feature is how awesomely secure Japan's food supply is.

Quote:
Reject it entirely or partially? Entirely would imply she wants to destroy it. Partially, would mean she only wants to reform it. OR will she actually accept Sibyl?
Well, Akane wants the brains-in-a-jar to be tried for their crimes, so that should be a hint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthfanta View Post
Sybil doesn't make sense at all. The brains were contradicting themselves throughout the episode. It's alright for them to commit murder, but others get terminated if they do so. As if. "It is only logical" that psychopaths Sybil cannot scan should run the place? WTF?
The Sibyl System has never had the intention of obeying the same laws that the plebes are subject to. It's very much a Rule of Man vs. Rule of Law issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
Right and this I think is what Urobuchi wants us to get out of this that the sybil system might be beneficial in some ways (although I think the series did a poor job of conveying this).
If that were the case, the creators wouldn't have tried so hard to make the Sibyl System look so monstrous. While the show has been ineffective at conveying things like characterization and world building, it's been pretty consistent on this one subject.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
You see how people can think so differently. This would be awesome to me (although I am sure there will still be some action).
*shudders*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
I agree with you there. I think Gen is very good at presenting a wide variety of character types and personalities, each representing distinct viewpoints. Things are never completely binary in a Gen work. There's always more than two perspectives or two basic personality types slightly tweaked over and over.
But almost none of them have anything interesting to say.