View Single Post
Old 2007-02-09, 14:57   Link #52
Zaris
of Porsche

Send a message via AIM to Zaris Send a message via MSN to Zaris Send a message via Yahoo to Zaris
Well, episode 19 covered a few things about Nayuki and the result of Shiori (albeit hints and pieces), not to mention Ayu who had several minutes more screentime than the former two. I was a little surprised that Yuuichi was taking Shiori's crisis so well to begin with - no depression, no breakdown of any kind. But if you think that withdrawing into deep thought counts, then I suppose you could forget what I just said and say he took the loss pretty seriously. Yuuichi even said in episode 10 that he's good at not having things affect him. That's true to some extent, but the stuff we've seen prove otherwise that he is changing little by little with every girl he runs into.

I really thought that I would have a lot to say about this episode but I don't. I guess it's because there were a lot of flashbacks and you can't really say complain about what people do in the past. Memory is info, and what's happened can't be changed. It's a straight-forward display of what transpired with very little basis for complaints.

My biggest gripe is pacing this episode; several scenes were either rushed or didn't effectively convey that desired mood for me. These would include Nayuki's marathon and the scene at the end of the episode. I didn't feel like it would take a miracle for Nayuki to win, nor did I feel Yuuichi did anything to motivate her into taking the lead from last place. She was already performing great feats passing other runners from nowhere. If it was left to me, I probably would have Yuuichi on the bike the entire length of Nayuki's leg, motivating her all the way through. Not only would this construct a better dramatic moment, but it would enhance their relationship as well as intensify the time they spent together alone after the ceremony.

Well, after several people brought it up in the episode 18 discussion thread, I figured they were right. So I wasn't surprised when I saw in this episode that Kaori was absent. All we have is word that Shiori is getting better, but it's merely hearsay. But if we do take the facts at face value as we have, then Shiori probably won't die. Recall that Shiori said she didn't feel like dying anymore back at that fountain. That's probably the miracle Yuuichi performed: the change in Shiori's attitude to her illness. Most people may not know this, but attitude is important to the healing process of any injury. When Shiori admitted to not liking death, her chances perhaps improved. But what do we know? heh

Yuuichi and Ayu spent a whole afternoon together and they talked about their most treasured people slipping away from them. I wish Yuuichi had said more, but my gut was telling me they didn't have time for that; they had to cut a few lines. This would have been a very good time to say how Yuuichi felt about Shiori after she walked out on him. "Well, I realized she may be trying to save me from too much pain, but there was such a finality to that act." Something like that. In short, I didn't think Yuuichi delivered an equal level of emotion to what Ayu expressed about losing her mother. So something was off beat to me, and when I saw the kiss, it felt forced and obtrusive. I didn't feel like a kiss was that warrented. But thinking about it, I can see several factors where it would be appropriate; but viewers don't want to spend too much time thinking. In visual media, you show, then tell.

Curious moment: the tree. I was watching episode 1 again because I recently redownloaded another copy. That tree is particularly special. But seven years later, is that clearing with the tree in the middle gone? I swear I've seen that setting somewhere during the Makoto arc. And yes, I felt exactly like some other member here. Feels like she was gonna fall off at more than one point in time. I anticipated that, but it didn't happen. She's still good and alive!

More and more, I'm getting the distinct feeling that the missing item is the doll Yuuichi gave her seven years ago. We haven't seen it in the present yet, and it is the only important item so far that remains off screen. I wonder if it's back at that tree. If it is, they're completely searching the wrong side of the city. But you have to wonder: they're searching city areas for a reason. I wonder if there's something about Ayu and Yuuichi and the city that we do not yet know about? It's possible. Yuuichi said he would grant her three wishes; so far we've only heard one. What the last two are, time will tell.

Nayuki...well, if the person she was describing (her grade school crush) is who I think it is, it would certainly explain the "Yep. You certainly are fushigi as Nayuki described" that even Kaori described in episode 2. I guess the average American would complain that this is inappropriate, but from what I heard about Japan, they're a little more tolerant of this kind of romantic pairing. Besides, it's nothing I haven't seen before. = P

So go go, Nayuki. Faito, dayo! Wow, I successfully refrained from saying "Yuuichi" in the above paragraph.

Lastly, it's not entirely conclusive that the series will end with Nayuki as the victor (for lack of a better term). For all we know, next episode will focus on Ayu, then the next two or three will turn to Nayuki, then finish off with Ayu. Who knows? As I said, time will tell.

Animation was average, blah blah blah...yay. See you next week.