Thread: Licensed Kokoro Connect [anime]
View Single Post
Old 2012-08-22, 08:23   Link #1502
Qilin
Romanticist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
So I’m not dismissing emotion as the integral part, but emotion is just one ingredient to make human mind’s products. Thus, emotion alone does not necessarily represent how good or bad a person is. Much like your lower body can’t represent your entire physical figure. We have to consider the entirety.
You misunderstand me. I'm not using Taichi emotional outburst as representative of his overall personality. Rather, I'm saying that the weakening of the cognitive restraints surrounding his psyche is a prime opportunity to reveal aspects of himself that are not readily apparent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blonto View Post
Eh, I don't see any reason to hate Taichi. I can be just as interested in a good character as I can in darker ones, as long as they're portrayed as complex or conflicted, anything that doesn't make me think they're just another copy out of the overused bag of male leads. For that reason I'm not too interested in Taichi, because for now he's still way to similar to hundreds of other male leads, but at least they're trying to give a new spin to the whole "white knight" character, even if they make him follow the role too closely at times. Actually all the characters are pretty archetypical, but they're handled in a way that doesn't make them clichéd.
Well, yeah. I agree that this show deconstructs the archetypes pretty well, setting aside the questionable writing choices. But my dislike of Taichi's character is more personal than anything. His personality is difficult to empathize with, but I'm hoping that the effect was intentional. That said, he's already leagues better than the typical harem lead despite my feelings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blonto View Post
I didn't say dismissed but that "an emotional outburst is only a part of how a person truly feels and it doesn't necessarily hold true in its entirety". Think of when people say they hate eachother when they get angry. That may hold true at that moment, but emotions regain their complexity in a calmer state of mind. That doesn't mean they don't hate anything about the person, just that the current emphasized emotion overshadowed other feelings.
I'd argue that emotions in themselves aren't all that complex. The complexity only comes when it interacts with reason, which often leads to conflicts between the two, which in turn induces drama. That said, I agree emotions tend to be fluid and impulsive, but there is still much to be gleaned from them.