View Single Post
Old 2013-04-16, 04:22   Link #79
Vegard Aune

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOGESNAKE View Post
I mean... for a weekly thing, you can't exactly start at the beginning of One Piece and expect great ratings... as I can admit the first.... 2-3 arcs aren't for everyone.
Why not, it worked just fine for the Japanese... Plus a bunch of other countries I'm too lazy to look up atm.

Honestly, I feel like this was a bad move. True, One Piece isn't technically a new series for Toonami, but it's been off the air for so long that plenty of the people tuning in now will either have never seen it before, or won't have watched it for so long that they'll have forgotten most of what happened before. True, they do have the older episodes available for streaming on their website, plus those One Piece 101-videos, but still, I'm afraid that this strategy will only serve to alienate potential newcomers, who otherwise might have been more willing to give the series a chance had it actually started at the beginning.
True, the first few arcs aren't all that great, but on the other hand, neither is the Davy Back Fight, which is where they'll be starting now... And that's followed by fillers... And while that is then followed by what I consider the greatest arc in One Piece, half of what makes Water 7/Enies Lobby such a fantastic arc in the first place is the character-development, and I'm not sure how well that would work out if one just jumps straight into that arc without having seen the rest of the Straw Hats' journey leading up to it.