View Single Post
Old 2011-05-19, 17:11   Link #89
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akito_Kinomoto View Post
I understand that some form of critique is needed or the studios are likely to get complacent and deliver a half-finished product, but most of the time I just let myself go along for the ride. The expectations of some people are almost like they're actively trying to find the next Cowboy Bebop or Evangelion when that just doesn't happen.
Well, that in itself would be a flawed critique. Forcing the expectations of other show onto another is no less silly than saying a car is bad because it can't fly. It would also be pretty flawed to have such a narrow view of quality.

Kinda like food. You can't really objectively say that apples are better food than oranges, but you can say that a rotting apple shouldn't be eaten. There are just certain things you shouldn't eat, even if it largely comes down to taste.

And thus I do think certain things can be considered "bad" and flawed" as much as something can be considered good, even if people disagree.

Quote:
While I can distance myself from any fiction, I get the feeling that I would become extremely harsh and dissect a piece until it had nothing left. I know some of my favorites have almost nothing going for them, but I score based on how much I like the work instead of the total sum of its parts. That said, I can't say my expectations haven't been rising lately, or maybe the better way to say that is "I'm becoming less tolerant of anything I don't highly enjoy" if that somehow makes sense.
My philosophy is that the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. It may not shine in every aspect, but it may come together well. This can usually explain why I can say certain parts of the show I like are flawed, but I don't think it interferes with the overall narrative or experience.
Quote:
If there's any bit of analyzing that's taking effect now, it's likely that it stems from continually adjusting my scores to keep things in perspective with regards to how much I enjoyed or how much I didn't like a show. The test of time isn't very kind, but some shows, for me, have continuously kept their place at the top. Does that mean they've accumulated huge nostalgia value to me, or does that mean I was watching something so brilliantly designed that not even my rising expectations could screw them up? I don't know, but what I do know is that the enjoyment side will always be the side of the coin that matters for me.
Being able to withstand the test of time is probably the best way to validate a rating you gave. If the feeling hasn't subsided, they've done something right.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote