View Single Post
Old 2013-07-21, 19:02   Link #95
Traece
:cool:

I said it before and I'll say it once more. If you think that Leon is legitimately pulling a self-defense card, you are completely and entirely wrong. It's not your fault, because the adaptation does not make this very clear. They cut out dialogue responding to his self-defense assertion as to why it's a laughable claim. The fact of the matter is, though, that they didn't think it and nor should you. One does not simply return to their room to acquire tools, break open a 'lock', and then murder someone in self defense.

The assertion that Leon was acting on his own motivations is a bit fishy to me. It was a convenient opportunity for him to win. Someone else started it, and he wanted to finish it. It gave him an excuse to justify the murder to himself. If you imagine him saying to himself "I'm just defending myself, she has to die or I will!" as he's breaking into the shower room, you've likely tapped into the mindset of Leon at the time.

It's an issue of 'fate' if you want to use such words. You're thinking about doing something but you're not quite sure if you should, and then an opportunity arises. It's fated that you should do it and life has decided for you. Not sure if you should buy that thing and you miss the sale, but then it goes on sale again? Consider it bought, as you were fated to acquire it! Leon almost certainly considered murder as a possibility, but then someone gave him the option and was so easily overpowered, leaving him in control. To him, I think he thought it fate that life gave him the way out so easily.