View Single Post
Old 2009-06-27, 15:38   Link #13
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I posted a long reply in the anime for 12-15 year-old thread nearby this one that includes many shows I'd suggest here as well. I'll reiterate the point I made there -- unless you're showing her something that's clearly targeted toward younger or family viewers like Miyazaki's Spirted Away, Dennou Coil (see below), or Chi's Sweet Home, pre-screening is a must. I'd include a parent in the pre-screening as well.

The show that I most want to recommend, but that poses difficult problems because of its dramatic content, is Kemono no Souja Erin. You and a parent should watch this at least through episode thirteen before deciding if your sister can handle the events it portrays. If you want more details, and don't mind being spoiled, read the Erin thread.

Seconds for Angelic Layer (it was next on my list), which for US-Canadian viewers is currently free to watch at Crunchyroll. I'd also recommend the two seasons of Chi's Sweet Home. The first season is fansubbed; the second season is being shown on Crunchyroll. The currently-airing Higepiyo, about a bearded chick (), is a bit more edgy than Chi, but probably still in the ballpark of acceptability.

A couple of other suggestions include Windy Tales and the licensed Tweeny Witches, which i described in the other thread. Windy Tales is a very overlooked show by Production I.G about middle school girls who discover how to manipulate the wind. Some very cute cats have the same ability in this show.

A more dramatic option might be Asatte no Houkou. One of the protagonists is your sister's age. I'd recommend prescreening this one as well however. The young girl has a few rather frightening experiences in the latter half of the show.

Finally, if your sister likes fantasy, and your parents are okay with the violence, she might enjoy Guin Saga. This is based on a famous series of light novels that date back to 1979 about a strange man with a leopard head who comes to the aid of a young prince and princess. Guin has a number of one-of-one battles in the early going, and some of them are pretty violent. When she's a bit older, it'll be time to watch Mononoke Hime, Junni Kokuki, Seirei no Moribito, and Noein. She'd probably find them a bit boring at this age.

Edit:I can't believe I forgot to recommend Dennou Coil. All the principal characters in this show are your sister's age, yet the story should appeal to you and maybe to your parents as well. This is an even better choice than Erin. That girl with the pigtails third from the right in my signature appears in Dennou Coil. Click on her picture to learn more about this wonderful show. (It's a Wikipedia link, though, so tread carefully to avoid spoilers.)

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2009-06-27 at 21:30.