View Single Post
Old 2008-06-21, 18:55   Link #1251
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by cicero View Post
While I agree that there is initally one timeline, I would point out another possibility. Fujiwara could be from a different timeline if this different timeline came into possibility with a flexing of Haruhi's powers. Since Haruhi's powers can rewrite the timeline, then many things are possible around her. That is, if her power's existence created the possibility of an alternate timeline with time travelers and Fujiwara, then the probability of the originally privileged Mikuru's future automatically drops from its original 100% and existence becomes something meaningful to fight for, centered around Haruhi. To be clear, the new timeline would could into existence because their suddenly exists the possibility of fujiwara and co. intervening to cause Haruhi to change the future. And they only exist because the timeline now does. So yes, a closed causal loop. No one really understands how those work...
All this assumes that:
Time travelers can arrive from any timeline that has a possibility of existing, not just the most likely one. And that multiple possibilities are even tolerated by the universe.
In some sense, Haruhi's existence nullifies Novikov's principle.
There are self-consistent theories of time travel, etc. which don't invoke the principle, and I think that once you bring Haruhi's powers into play, one of these(ie multiple timelines) takes precedence.
Multiple timelines can't exist, though. It's the whole point of the principle.

Unless Haruhi created the alternate timeline, it can't exist. Specifically, her powers only nullify the principle when used to do so.

In addition, a time traveler from an alternate timeline would more fall under the definition of "slider" than anything else.

Besides, Fujiwara has actually met Mikuru before, and since she doesn't remember, he probably means her older self.
Tyabann is offline   Reply With Quote