View Single Post
Old 2013-01-26, 13:44   Link #44
Kudryavka

Everyone who's blaming Hollywood for scouring for unadaptable titles because it's run out of ideas?

Lets keep in mind that its the original creators of these works who wanted the movies in the first place? Gainax was the first to suggest the idea of an Eva movie about a decade ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
Ah, right right.

Still. Considering all the difficulties in trying to adapt some of these anime (notably Evangelion), I really don't understand why they don't just try going for more original productions. It's not like Evangelion is some kind of household name in the west. It'd be about as recognizable once it hits theater as about any other original movie. Plus? The people most likely to be already familiar with it are the MOST likely to be aggravated in your attempts to make it appeal to a larger demographic.

It just confuses me.
Its not about whos familiar with it. The directors of these kinds of high action movies couldnt care less about catering to existing fans, unless there are a whole lot of them (Im talking Star Wars or Harry Potter levels. Not the case here with Robotech, Eva and FMP). The point of the movie is to bring the masses, people who may not be familiar with the franchises already, and to do this theyre gonna change the movie to make it more accessible to a mainstream audience of whatever country its made in. For example, in the Eva Hollywood movie, Ill bet my bottom dollar that theyre gonna make Shinji less whiny. For whatever reason a lot of ppl in USA think male leads with actual emotions are undesirable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GundamFan0083 View Post
Robotech is a sore spot with many anime fans as it is, making a live action version of it seems like reopening a wound and pouring salt in it.
Unfortunately HG doesnt care about you or any other fans of actual Macross. I wish it werent so, but look at all the idiocy theyve caused over Macross.

But your point does get me thinking that at this point, years and years after Robotech ended, there should be more Macross fans than Robotech, right? So this movie is gonna have to pander to the lowest common denominator or else its gonna bomb big time. Which would be great, maybe thatd bring HG into 21st century so theyd understand that Robotech is *dead*, and bitching at Big West and Macross is a big waste of time because of that.
Kudryavka is offline   Reply With Quote