View Single Post
Old 2013-01-26, 17:12   Link #47
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
They're mostly going for brand recognition, since if they can get the brand familiar enough to the masses, then they're banking on them getting more bang for their buck on the already existing franchise.
See, that's the thing that doesn't make sense to me. I don't think something like Evangelion or Full Metal Panic has very much brand recognition among the general movie going public. Does the western fanbase of Evangelion or Full Metal Panic really matter when it comes to calculating the amount of money that 100-200 million big budget sci-fi movie needs to bring in to make money?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kudryavka View Post
Its not about whos familiar with it. The directors of these kinds of high action movies couldnt care less about catering to existing fans, unless there are a whole lot of them (Im talking Star Wars or Harry Potter levels. Not the case here with Robotech, Eva and FMP). The point of the movie is to bring the masses, people who may not be familiar with the franchises already, and to do this theyre gonna change the movie to make it more accessible to a mainstream audience of whatever country its made in. For example, in the Eva Hollywood movie, Ill bet my bottom dollar that theyre gonna make Shinji less whiny. For whatever reason a lot of ppl in USA think male leads with actual emotions are undesirable.
But that's my exact point. If the name recognition for a franchise is already nonexistant like that, then what's the point of using the name? Why not just go for any number of original movies?

It's like there's something schizophrenic about how Hollywood operates nowadays. The executives seem to think that they absolutely need to make everything a remake or an adaption in preproduction, but when they actually go to the meat of actually making a movie they suddenly seem to remember that the original brand recognition is irrelevant.

I think I can say as a somewhat logical human being (as opposed to an anime fanboy) that what they're doing doesn't make any sense.
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote