View Single Post
Old 2011-10-12, 02:02   Link #203
chibipicpic

I'm fond of Rider and Waver. They're the comic relief in such a serious show, and they have a great dynamic (even though Waver just gets dragged along--literally--most of the time with whatever Rider wants to do). I think this first scene with them sets that up nicely.

Caster and Ryuunosuke...just reading about what they do is painful. I am NOT looking forward to seeing more of what they do. At all. And since we know what we're seeing on NicoNico is censored...oh MAN this is gonna be rough.

I think I'm fond of FZ more because of the expansive character interaction. With FSN, we're pretty limited to what we see, and a lot of the plot is hinged on not knowing a ton of key components until they unravel (which is part of the appeal). For instance, even something as small as the Servants' identities. Partially because it almost has to be that way given the original medium of FSN. FZ pretty much tells us who half of the Servants are in the first episode and cycles through all the characters, so something else has to hook us beyond figuring out the mystery. So character interaction becomes more important, characterization becomes more important. And sadly, FZ might be able to do a better job of deepening more characters in the same span of time FSN does a handfull.

Ah...don't mind me. I'm a writer and love to analyze the crap out of stuff. Matter of fact...I did write a paper about FSN and how they handled King Arthur and the grail legend. Wish FZ was out at the time...I could have used so much stuff from it...

Speaking of Servant identities...I am SO in love with the ending. I don't know how many times I've watched it because it's so wonderful. They can finally take advantage of the historical aspect of the Servants, and just the nostalgic feel of it is so powerful to me. Especially with Rider and Saber. I've probably watched several dozen anime shows, and none of the regular ending animations moved me this much (I say regular because some shows have had some pretty powerful last episode ending songs/animations). Beautiful.
chibipicpic is offline   Reply With Quote