View Single Post
Old 2012-03-05, 16:40   Link #92
monsta666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamer_2k4 View Post
Please don't make me explain why each gender maps to the device they do, because I can't do it without sounding condescending. And don't overthink the analogy, either; you may remember that I said the explanations had "varying degrees of validity." The key/lock one is simplistic and makes simplistic sense, but it's also not really the correct way of looking at things.
Whilst it is true that nearly all analogies have limits on how far they can applied a analogy must be able to cover the basic ground well to be considered good. If the analogy cannot cover the basic ground then then the analogy is poor. While the lock and key description has a nice sound bite it does overlook a big aspect and that is in making the woman the lock, it makes an assumption that it is the woman who decides when sex happens occurs while the guy attempts to 'unlock her' as you will. So the basic premise of this analogy kind of rests on that assumption which I would argue shouldn't be the case.

Furthermore the easy lock is seen in a negative light whereas a flexible key is seen as positive thing (conventional thinking dictates that flexible keys are good). So by using this analogy you are promoting - intentional or otherwise - that a guy who can have sex with many partners is a positive thing as they are a flexible key. Now, I believe this was not your intention but then that would mean the analogy is weak because the basic premise does not reflect even a approximation of how things should be.

At the end of the day sex is a mutual activity were both parties decide when it happens. Guys should take responsibility about their urges, they are not animals or slaves to their hormones. They should also know what they want. If you want to have sex early in a relationship that is fine. But it is rather hypocritical to have sex early on and then say the woman is loose unless you can agree that you are loose too. At the end of the day it takes two to tango. I will also say in this kind of dynamic the women can't win. I mean if she sleeps early then she is not relationship material but many guys will also give up if she doesn't put out early and call her a prude (it is common enough that I even hear stuff about a 3 date rule). So what is a girl supposed to do to avoid being put in a difficult place?

Last edited by monsta666; 2012-03-05 at 17:02.
monsta666 is offline   Reply With Quote