View Single Post
Old 2011-07-27, 16:32   Link #327
Faerie
Joseph Defense Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlavorOfLife View Post
I really should avoid this 3p but this is part is just too funny.

Lets say there is no magic just like in real life. Now your younger sibling/BFF (who just happens to be a violinist or pianist), just lost lets say 70% of the strength of one hand. A military doctor says he could heal it if you went and fought in Iraq for the rest of your life.

I'm assuming you're going to jump at the chance?

Lets say you don't jump at this chance for whatever strange reason, what happens to younger sibling/BFF now? Are they going to die if you stay focused on helping them? Can they get over this setback with your help?
Okay, well, there's a few things to address here.

- first of all, you're using a younger sibling or friend as comparison, which is the first inaccuracy. To Sayaka, Kamijou is the guy she is infatuated with (and from her POV: very much in love with). These connections are vastly different- I'm not saying one is inferior, just that they are completely different. If you were to apply the Sayaka scenario onto real life, you still have to use "the guy I think I'm in love with", instead of substituting. It makes the comparison inaccurate. I think most people use a different approach towards their love interest compared to their family relations, wouldn't you agree?

- But for the sake of argument, let's assume my love interest, that I, in my youthful naivity believe to be the only person I'm meant to be with, is an exceptionally talented individual.
For this person, you need to understand, their special talent is everything. If you ask them about what their life is about, they will tell you "the violin" (or gymnastics. or whatever).
It matters more to them than, say, friends, or general education, or anything. Therefore, if for some reason they couldn't pursue it anymore, they will first try everything to fix it. Then they will eventually give up. Then they will despair. Then, eventually, they will busy themselves with something else, put it out of their mind.

An outsider might then conclude that they have grown past it and found other things to do with their lives.
Thing is though, they will always regret this and carry it with them, because trust me, this will always be what they really wanted to do, and they will thus quite possibly conclude that they missed the chance to do what they were "born for", if it was taken from them by force (accident, illness, unfortunate circumstances etc) as opposed to "lack of talent", or "clear defeat".

So to answer your question: They won't die. But they won't be as happy as they would be, if they could have pursued their talents.
And some, including myself would argue that that isn't true fulfillment/happiness. It's a substitute. It might also be okay, but it's not what they really wanted or needed. It's 2nd best.

And to answer your other question: Yes, I would have taken the military doctor up on his offer.

Maybe you find that stupid, or don't agree with that, but it's a pretty easy decision if you think you're in love, and the person in question is suffering.
I do admit though, it is an emotional decision, and it's not for everyone, and I can understand why someone would not like the thought of it.
Nonetheless, deciding to do this for someone is noble and selfless. Is it not?

Therefore this is the one point I don't understand all the criticism for. Other points I find more understandable, but here she was really noble and selfless, and I see it as possibly the best thing she's done in the show.
I could understand if you were coming down on her for being horrible to Madoka about not becoming a Puella Magi...

Last edited by Faerie; 2011-07-27 at 17:09.
Faerie is offline   Reply With Quote