View Single Post
Old 2010-09-30, 05:28   Link #2191
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by reelyanoob View Post
It's how we saw things play out at the end of the series. I just note the state of affairs (regardless of romantic hook-ups) with Alto flying, able to hear their singing via the earring.
Flying. And the girls + their singing. Pretty much Alto's reason for life, no reason he wouldn't continue to combine the two now that he can.
Eh, that really is just idle speculation, IMO. We got exactly no indication that Alto wouldn't return the earring to Sheryl. Is Sheryl then capable of leaving it with Alto? Sure she is, but that is not inferred anywhere. Nor is that Alto would even want that.

Quote:
If there was an Alto x Sheryl pairing he'd definitely get to keep the earring.
Why?

Quote:
If there was no pairing, he'd most likely keep the earring anyway (to hear/sense both girls).
Only in an Alto x Ranka pairing would he have any likelyhood of having to give the earring back.
Not really. Sheryl lent the earring to Alto, he will give it back. If Sheryl then wants to have the earring stay with him, that's her prerogative. And it may well be so, maybe she wants him to hear herself and Ranka sing. But there is no logical implication that it will happen. Alto has not had a sudden revelation in the last episode how he needs to hear the two girls all the time.

Quote:
Note, I already changed my position in several posts ago to include both Ranka & Sheryl in the "pretend not to notice" reference. The timing argument was more in repsonse to me19 than you (who was disputing the interpretation completely), and discusses Sheryl purely because she is the one actually seen in that shot. I think it's more a foreshadowing of his time with Sheryl to come, than saying he only was neglecting Sheryl.
Agreed on that part.

Quote:
I noticed a lot of inverted SDF Macross moments etc, eg Ranka Loses Miss Macross while Minmay wins. I was thinking that's more about paying homage to SDF while keeping people guessing.She got her break in the Movie anyway for being cute and on Gallia-IV concert, so the theme of failing-by-cuteness isn't totally consistent.
True, but I think the deconstruction doesn't begin at that point yet. She was being built up until episode 15, which is basically her high-point in the series. At that point, she had a real shot at getting actively noticed by Alto, had come into her own as a star and developed some inner fortitude by defying Ozma.

And then it began all to crumble from the next episode forward...

Quote:
No submission! I just didn't want to get into a long subjective debate about what Alto was thinking all the way through the series. For example ep 17 could be viewed as cold/no feelings or just awkward, which wouldn't tell us anything about what's going on in Alto's head. He did just climb up quite a dangerous looking wall just to see her.
And was bloody annoyed by it, not knowing why he couldn't come in the normal way. I went into detail in my analysis why I think the ep 17 scene was where the possible Alto x Ranka romance withered on the vine, which you read. So I don't need to repeat myself.

And we are getting into it on the romance thread as I can see.

Quote:
EDIT : Just started reading your Essay on the romance.
One thing : Ranka doesn't actually get saved by Alto very often, any more than Sheryl does. Ranka's plights are just a little more dramatic.
If you count "rescue from physical harm by flying". He rescues Sheryl in eps 1 & 8, and Ranka in ep 2. So, there's more Sheryl-rescues than Ranka-rescues at least up to ep 10. From ep10 onwards, Alto tries to rescue Ranka a couple more times, but is always pipped-at-the-post by Brera. Hence his line at the end of the series (paraphrasing) "this time Ranka, I WILL rescue you"
With the final rescue, it puts Alto at 2-2 for physical rescues of Sheryl / Ranka
Ranka is saved by Brera twice (ep10 , ep15), and Sheryl requires saving twice more too (Gallia-IV and the finale)
Let me know if i missed any

Well, I'll just count the unsuccessful ones, too. The intent was there and Ranka noticed the selfsame. And he did save Ranka in ep 10 by delaying the Hydra from pouncing on her.

He saves ( or tries to save ) Ranka in episodes: 1, 2, 10, 13, 14, 16, 25. And protects her during episodes 20+21

He saves Sheryl in episodes: 8, 14. Episode 1 doesn't count, because he pushed her off the stage himself.

There's a reason why I think "Taskete, Alto-kun!" is Rankas mating cry.