View Single Post
Old 2012-10-28, 06:59   Link #152
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Scrapping a widely beloved, very well-established, very well-developed, very well-handled, and very touching romance just because a relative few people dislike a couple of the mere side-effects of it does not strike me as a "tough choice" that helps "increase quality" by "allowing a story to evolve".
Did I say scrap the pairing? What I said is that the series is being held back by the constant need to show the pairing', which is easily solve by... you know... just not showing the characters? The pairing still exists, since nothing has changed in that regard, and the story can grow with the new cast.

Or heck, even ignoring the new cast, maybe it could give some more focus on Hayate for a change? You know, the supposed third member of the "three aces" that constantly gets shafted?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Oh, and since you brought up The Empire Strikes Back, I raise you the entire Star Wars Prequels...

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Yes, hence "risk." Though I quite like Attack of the Clones, crappy romance aside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
I think that line is more fitting for the original Star Wars Trilogy which has been George Lucas’d throughout the DVD & BD releases .

e.g.: Darth Vader (when the emperor was about to kill Luke): NNNNOOOOOOOooooooooouuu...........
On the flipside of that coin, the additions made in the 1997 re-release were mostly good. "Han shot first" aside, the addition of Jabba in A New Hope gave more urgency to Han's plight as well is introduced a villain that became important in Return of the Jedi and the addition of CGI to Cloud City made the city feel more alive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
Yes, sir. That's exactly what it is. The torch wasn't passed because there were no legit takers.

Move on to what exactly?

Teana and Subaru were given their chance to take control of the situation but it doesn't look like they had what it took to be the leads.
I would say SSX shows otherwise. It's a very entertaining sound stage with none of the pre-StrikerS cast in it.

Quote:
Some people just weren't made to headline a main event of the series. Take Mikoto Misaka, who's quite badass as an action girl and pulls all the stops. But she's just not a good lead because her conflicts aren't as deep and just doesn't have as much charisma as say, Nanoha or more evidently, Touma from Index
Hold on, hold on, I will readily agree that Touma with his pre-punch speeches has more charisma that most characters I've seen in recent anime, but "I have clone sisters running around getting killed for experiments" isn't deep? Just what are your standards for deep?

Quote:
Subaru definitely has charisma, but her potential for internal conflict and storyline of interest wasn't that great. Her twist was more lolwut. Teana's story was better, but she lacks the charisma and ran across some emo roadbumps. Together they might equal one Nanoha. Maybe. Still, they were workable as decent role models for action girls and were better off than poor Erio and Caro. I'm guessing a lot of people would ask me who the hell they are, and that'd just prove my point.
At this point I'll just point out that prior to Vivio, Nanoha never had an internal conflict. Or any character growth. At all. Yet that didn't stop her from being the titular character or a main character for two seasons.

Then again, Nanoha has always been a series more about the characters not named Nanoha. S1 was more Fate's story, A's was more Hayate's story, the first cour of StrikerS more Subaru's story. It's not until the second half or StrikerS that Nanoha finally gets a plot to herself that allows her to actually grow.

Quote:
As for those that lament Yuno, I'm sorry to say that I feel that the writers just knew not what to do with him outside of season 1. That was the greater issue, and not any kind of shipping problem would have helped it.
If the writers don't know what to do with a character who specializes in history and known for being a good teacher in a manga that throws around lots of history and has a lot of training then I am beginning to question their skills as writers.

Last edited by Keroko; 2012-10-28 at 07:27.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote