View Single Post
Old 2011-04-12, 09:11   Link #14
Samari
World's Greatest

Quote:
Originally Posted by scraggy View Post
The main issue with american comics is that they keep desperately trying to keep people's interest with new "events" and give certain writers almost complete control of the universe. Dwayne McDuffie (R.I.P.) got screwed out of a job writing one of the best comics on the market because of that, and how many people do you know who read R.E.B.E.L.S. while most comic book fans are keeping up with Brightest Day (I admit, I am too, I'm just really tired of John's run on GL).

American Comics have created new characters, in the 90s almost every single character got a reboot, and then seriously declined in popularity. The comic industry is in too much trouble to do something crazy right now, so they keep playing it safe doing the same thing over and over and over again, which still loses them fans.

Of course there's still some amazing comics on the market (Morrison's Batman/ 5th World Epic for instance) and there will continue to be. After the comics boom of the 90s (which coincidentally was filled with some of the shittiest comics ever made) they had a bit of a collapse, but I have no doubt they'll be coming back eventually.
I don't see how comics can rebound to their height of excellence in the early 90's. Too many things have changed. The world is just moving on it seems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuyoshi View Post
I won't argue with that too much because there is some truth there, but scraggy summed it up very nicely. The only reason they're not trying anything new is because as you say, the comic book industry is suffering from too much of a decline and are trying to play it safe. You tell me this, however: If there's so much love for Batman, Supes and other classic heroes, why is there such a decline in the industry? If it's as you say, I'd have thought the industry would remain at least stable compared to the way it's been 2 or 3 decades ago. Truth is, less and less people are retaining an interest in them anymore, and it's too late to make any drastic changes because there's too much of a risk involved, so they're trying to extend their lifeline by relying on the classic heroes. It's kinda like DBZ without an end. Try and imagine that
Because of the internet, video games and too many other things to do now and days. People just don't have time or interest for the industry anymore. That's what it is plain and simple. It's not really the stories or plots as much. That is always going to be around. Even in the early 90's there were a bunch...and the writing these days is much better compared to back then with the type of people involved writing for comics now.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
永遠不要失去信心,你的命運。
Samari is offline   Reply With Quote