View Single Post
Old 2012-07-13, 19:15   Link #1052
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mironicus View Post
All this talk about "playing out cards" is kind of... ? If I read comments like "She played out her card already, now she has no chance." or "She don't have any new cards, there is nothing new of a development, so she looses." and "She confessed to early, now she will loose". What kind of simple thinking is that?
The kind of "simple thinking" that comes from having read or watched way too many romantic anime/manga/novels over the years and seen how these plots generally develop. The developments in the story exist to serve the author. There is very little benefit from a storytelling perspective that could happen from Kodaka simply accepting Sena's confession right now. There is also very little benefit in Kodaka outright rejecting her confession either. Rather, I think what has the most benefit at this juncture in the story, for many reasons, is for him to say "let's be friends first and decide about the future later". This is significant from a narrative perspective (and continues the theme started in this past volume), and allows them to keep moving the story forward and address other issues. I think Kodaka will want to settle the outstanding issues before he commits to romance, and I think it is too soon for the story to fully tip its hand in terms of Kodaka's true feelings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mironicus View Post
There is much more to discover. Just think about all the abilities Kodaka have and which he lacks of. And then compare this to a partner and think about how they complement each other in a possible relationship.
All of the different heroines in the story are designed to complement Kodaka in some way, but the final romantic partner doesn't usually have much to do with an opinion of who is most compatible. Shippers everywhere always believe their chosen heroine is the best match, for whatever reason.