View Single Post
Old 2011-01-17, 15:36   Link #758
Firefly00

Send a message via ICQ to Firefly00 Send a message via AIM to Firefly00 Send a message via Yahoo to Firefly00
Interesting recent imagery; I got a chuckle out of the Mass Effect and GRAW nods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedShocktrooper View Post
I guess more people play Command & Conquer than they do watch Gundam...
That, and most Gundam series make the assumption that mobile suits make all other fighting vehicles obsolete (though, as I understand it, the Zeon forces tended to be a bit more sensible about combined-arms tactics). A couple of points I recall about old-school Gundam, since we're in the neighborhood:
  • I heard that Tomino's original conception of 'mobile suit' was as powered armor (see: 'Starship Troopers', the K-series suits used by the AD Police in Bubblegum Crisis)... but this was changed in order to 'compete' with the other giant-robot shows on the airwaves;
  • Without the 'Minovskiy physics' handwave, mobile suits would not survive long on the battlefield, what with being large and inviting targets for all kinds of long-range nastiness.
Related tidbit: while Verhoeven's take on the classic novel loses the powered armor, it is retained in the anime/manga treatment. This reference might prove useful for our resident artists.

Spoiler for AD Police battlesuits:
Firefly00 is offline   Reply With Quote