View Single Post
Old 2012-08-07, 21:59   Link #37
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adigard View Post
Pretty much spot on. It would be dwarfed by the next celebrity breakup / big business scandal / PR blitz. 10,000 kids is important and all, but ultimately the public is going to be really bored of
"So, what's going on with all those hijacked SAO players? Oh, still sleeping? 'k"
But that's not what they would be hearing.

Every so often a "coma patient" would die. I think that it would be somewhat comparable to hearing about your nation's young people dying in a far-off conflict in a foreign country that you don't get to see. Every so often the news would report on a Makoto or Mikuru dying from SAO, and that would keep SAO in the news.

The slow, painful trickle of deaths would cause SAO to be something of a constant cloud over Japan. I honestly think it would be on people's minds the way the Iraq war was on Americans' minds in the first few years after it.

Honestly, I think that SAO could be to Japan what 9/11 and the Iraq war combined were to America. You have the sudden death of thousands of innocent people at the hands of a terrorist, just like 9/11. Then you have the slow, painful trickle of deaths just like the Iraq war.

I think some people here might be drastically underestimating how much the Japanese public would care about something like SAO happening in the actual real world (i.e. in our world).