Thread: Licensed Akb0048
View Single Post
Old 2012-05-03, 18:34   Link #429
mochichan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkullFaerie View Post
Plastic as in a bit fake and overly glossy for a group that is marketed as "ordinary, approachable girls who happen to be idols". And plastic as in pandering to stereotypes in a way that I find a bit unattractive.
For examples of what I mean, just take a look at the suggestive nature of their lyrics, or some of their videos... It just invokes this very unattractive image in my mind of middle aged, sexually frustrated men, erm, drooling over these girls doing cutesy things while singing about their school uniforms being taken off :S

I know this is somehow the case for all idols, but AKB is more than proactively pandering to this type of fanbase which makes them less attractive to me. I just don't like these types of things- same reason I don't enjoy anime that are clearly geared towards otaku. I don't mean and offence to those who enjoy this, but it's just not something I identify with

You know what, I might have the wrong impression- for one I didn't get the same vibe from the anime (much preferred it to the actual group) that I got from their MV's, so I might be proven wrong in time. This is just my first impression of them which I hope will change.

edit: thanks for those links, I'm looking at them now. I've heard that thing about Sayaka and thought it was sweet
AKB...are the last people...I would call glossy...i've actually met them during a handshake event and once again at Washinton DC concert......................the management is not kidding with their "average girls" concept...especially with Takamina making herself look stupid doing a DB Kamehameha.....XD
Was the song you're talking about Seifuku ga Jama? It wasn't intended to be real, the song was a parody and advice against the enjo kosai situation that happened in Japan. Their producer even wrote a song about suicide call Keibetsu. Akimoto wrote the 421 songs they have and wanted it to be realistic, meaning the topic can be everything, sex, suicide, encouragement, cute love, society issues etc. They even done hardcore things in their videos like ripping their arms off, doing kungfu, breaking out of prison..or the new video, vomiting blood in an apocalyptic setting.

I can understand where you're coming from because I used to hate them..But I gave them a chance and I love these girls right now, I would recommend you give them a chance. The girls themselves do many things like appearing in Vogue Magazine, Vivi, walked in fashion shows, act in dramas, movies. In 2008, yes they were pandering to the idol fans (tho it doesn't mean they're all creepy, members like Kashiwagi, Sashihara Amina, Kojiharu are idol fans) but now AKB target every demo.

I PMed you to help clearing this up.

Last edited by mochichan; 2012-05-03 at 19:05.
mochichan is offline   Reply With Quote