Thread: Licensed + Crunchyroll Space Battleship Yamato 2199 (movie & TV)
View Single Post
Old 2012-04-25, 14:50   Link #349
August138

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Great Mechanics DX #20 has a chart redone on StarBlazers.com that shows this:

These ships are bigger than they use to be for the most part. Or at least it seems that way. The three similar Gamilus ships were all about the same size before.
Unfortunately, back when they produced YAMATO in 1974, they didn't declare the exact measurements for the ships, so it was probably all relative: Battleships, Cruisers, Destroyers, and so on. Originally, the Yamato was proposed to be 333 meters long (the size of Tokyo Tower), but afterwards, during the release of the 1977 film, they rescaled it to 263 meters to match the size of the IJN Yamato.

Quote:
Does Yamato take out the Gamilus Carrier using 18 inch shells from the old guns, or what are made to look like the old guns (as oppose to the shock cannons with energy beams used later on against the Giant Missile)?
This seems to be the case.

Quote:
Also it looks like the Carrier has a bottom facing weapon... some kind of energy beam I guess. I didn't see it fire, only that it looked like it was charging when it was hit by Yamato's shells.
Correct. It's a powerful weapon. Looks great in execution, too.

Quote:
The fighters still appear to come out sideways from their hangers. But the fighters look more impressive than their 1974 counterparts.
I agree. I love the makeovers on some of the Gamilas mecha — you should see the redesign on the interiors of their ships... At least they look awesome in the production design sheets.