View Single Post
Old 2013-09-09, 10:16   Link #29
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Sadly, though this is all in fun, you guys are kidding yourselves if you think anime is going to be showcased in 2020. Yes, the current government is playing up the "Cool Japan" thing a bit, but Japan changes governments like most people change socks - we could three of four transitions between now and then. And even if Abe were still in power, he's not going to let anime be any major part of what the world sees - it's be a showcase of "high culture", history, and high-tech.

What I expect to see, somewhere in the opening ceremony or at least the overall pageantry: Tezuka for sure, probably Astro Boy. Miyazaki definitely. These are safe, internationally recognizable (you might even see Pikachu, because that ties into the international perception of anime as being for kids) and "respectable" choices. You might, at a stretch, see some sort of nod to Matsumoto Leiji or even Akira, given the obvious apropos nature of the event. But Hatsune Miku, the colossal titan or even Lupin III? Not in a thousand years.

What I do think you'll see, as others have mentioned, is a spate of anime with Olympic tie-ins.
I pretty much agree. The anime world will play a role in the opening ceremony, as it is part of Japanese culture. But it's role will not be huge for the reasons you laid out.

That being said, I expect J-Pop in and of itself to be a significant part of the opening ceremony. That could conceivably involve Hatsune Miku, though I think its more likely to include a well-known J-Pop group (which itself may or may not have ties to anime).