Thread: Licensed + Crunchyroll Uchuu Kyoudai (Space Brothers)
View Single Post
Old 2012-08-15, 12:18   Link #456
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
It really doesn't matter whether they notice or not. A character flaw is just an obstacle for the character. Taichi from Chihayafuru comes to mind. He also lacked self-confidence and this affected his game prowess. He couldn't win because he thought he wasn't good enough to win (even though he was).

Anyway, my point is that even if it's just a psychological trait that only the audience notice, as long as it becomes an obstacle preventing the character from achieving their goals, it's a character flaw.

Mutta was flawed at the beginning, but he grew out of it. That''s character growth for you, hardly something to complain about I'd think.
I actually disagree that Taichi and Mutta are that similar.

Taichi might lack self confidence but his growth is a lot slower than Mutta's. Also unlike Mutta, Taichi certainly doesn't always come up with the right answer and he loses perhaps more than he wins. It's the fact that he keeps trying despite theses losses that makes him a compelling character.

Mutta as the main character pretty much always succeeds at what he does, in fact he often finds the answer no one else does. So really Mutta's character flaw did not prevent him from achieving his goals at least not in terms of what the story showed us.

Hence I would still say Mutta comes off as a bit too perfect. Don't get me wrong I really love Mutta as a character and I don't think my complaints about him are a huge detriment to the series but it is what it is. Although as I said above it's an issue with a lot of main characters not just Mutta.