View Single Post
Old 2007-01-23, 01:02   Link #51
nekokaburi

first off; g'day! long time lurker, first time poster

i don't think desu or yes will even be a part of the dub.

i'l elaberate;

first off, many (here and elsewhere) have said they're only going to watch the dub long enough to see how 'bad' it is. so even if they did leave the 'desu's' 'na no's' and 'kashira's' in, the fans that want them in, wont watch it anyways.

second, 'yesu' isn't a word, and the literal translation of 'na no' is something along the ines of "that's why". this is geneon we're talking about. they don't mish mash english and japanese with their dubs very often.

and third, it'll sound stupid. ADV did the right thing when they dubbed steel angel kurumi a while back, (since kurumi was saying desu to rediculous levels long before suiseiseki). they left the desu's out all together, and focussed on making her voice cute with tone and accent. they also left out "gurleen" or what ever that noise you make when you're hugging someone is. some things just don't work in english (like saying 'yes' after every other sentence)

personally, i hope they leave all the suffixes out, and focus of getting the right cast to do what those suffixes do.

as for having a japanese audio track; ever since the wonderous technology of DVD's, every anime title from 'repitutable' dubbing companies (i.e. geneon, ADV, funimation etc) has included both audio tracks. so it'd be safe to asume, the japanese version will still be included on the disc.

/flame suit on

p.s. and whoever wrote geneon's generic plot description, needs to be shot. that is one thing i hope they do fix by the time it's released (and i have every confidence they will)