View Single Post
Old 2012-07-22, 18:38   Link #120
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
Regarding Haru's character, I can't say I hate the guy but I have been extremely apathetic to his woes, probably because the supposed hopelessness of the situation that's the source of angst is just too contrived for me to take and probably because it seems like he goes through these ups and downs of self esteem in almost every arc so it's kinda becoming a bit redundant. So I can't say I hate Haru's character. Rather I think it's more appropriate to say his character simply hasn't been done justice thanks to the poor writing. Accel World is a pretty plot driven story so the plot acts as the catalyst for the characterization. If plot developments aren't fully believably then the characterization that arises will inevitably fall short. So it's not really Haru's character that's the flaw here: It's the plot. At least that's how I see it.
I don't know... back when I was a teenager, it didn't take too much for me to get angsty, particularly when it involved girls I liked. To that point, note that in his little flashback sequence, he tied his loss of his wings to the relationships he had with all the girls in his life. When he got mad at Taku, it was all about Chiyu and Kuroyukihime. Basically, he saw his success in the Accelerated World as being his only chance with the ladies, because his poor self-esteem causes him to believe that the girls only like him because of his "skills". This isn't true, but you have to think from his perspective that the series of events do seem to be correlated to some degree.

So I don't know... "poor writing"? I guess I don't really understand what you mean by the plot developments not being fully believable (makes sense to me, given the age and context of the characters), but even setting that aside, I think the characterization that resulted seems quite reasonable to me. Was I the only angsty teen with self-esteem issues growing up?