View Single Post
Old 2009-01-04, 22:57   Link #1008
DeX-kun
Alto x Ranka :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbert View Post
I don't see how singing for the dead has anything to do with savior of Frontier. It simply a emotional need of people, but she still refuses.

Above is one counter-example to your argument, but it's not very important because I think your take of this issue is bit too one-sided.

Ranka wants to be a singer, a professional one, thus she need heed what is asked for being a professional singer. Like Mikhail points out to her in ep 5, being a singer is not equal to "can sing" or "love to sing". There are something a singer must do regardless the singer's own preference.

Please stop saying Ranka accepts savior role has nothing to do with her dream. It give her fame, and she enjoys a lot when she sings to crowds. It does make her dream true. Denial of Ranka's failure is like a new graduate finds his job is not what he has imagined thus believe absenteeism can be justified.
Well now, I say 2 sentences and all of a sudden I get bombarded by you guys. I was talking about her role to sing to distract the Vajra and break their formations in order to kill them. As for her singing for the dead, she just couldn't sing, she was going to but her emotions didn't allow her to sing, whether you agree with me or not, this is what I believe. If I remember correctly in Episode 5 when Michel said those words, Ranka's determination proved him wrong by the end of that episode.

It's amazing how I get people on these threads telling me not to tell someone what to say and what not to say when the same thing happens to me. Whatever it is you hate about Ranka is fine but like I've said before her role as a savior was not initially what she desired, she ended up with the role after getting Alto's consent. Now if you disagree with my statement then that's also fine, but my opinion is my opinion just like you have yours, I won't tell you otherwise. You say she ran away from her problems, I say she confronted them. Remember that before she left her intention was to have Alto come with her so she didn't necessarily run away at least in my perspective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
Becoming a professional singer comes with responsibilities, I don't know why it is so hard for some of you to accept that as fact. Fame comes with strings attached. It is not an easy job being a professional, Sheryl realized that, Ranka never did.
I never denied the fact that becoming a singer comes with responsibilities but it's not like everyone that can sing and wants to have a career in that has the ability to stop an alien race from destroying humanity. That's why I said what I said. Sheryl is a professional yes and she's had more experience in her lifetime in that department but Ranka was new to the whole thing and everything came to her at once. Remember that Ranka was being used by Frontier as a tool and even Sheryl admitted that if you're going to use someone, than do it coldly. My point is that she wanted to be a singer not a tool for destroying an alien race.

Quote:
You say she did not desire to become the savior, but then she volunteered many times, to play that role. Nobody forced her into this, she chose to accept it. She participated in charities, she sang during battles, and she done other things that gave everyone else a false impression, including Alto. Moreover, she thoroughly enjoyed the fame. Yet, when the time came for her to accept her responsibilities, she bolted. Therefore, to counter your statement:

she didn't desire to be the savior of Frontier but she took it so she could save her friends and of course Alto himself
Before we move on here, I agree that nobody forced her and that she did volunteer, but she did it for the people of Frontier and more importantly her friends, the people she cares about. If you ask where I get this from, well I recall a scene where she was tied up by Graces control so-to-speak, where she said that she wanted to go back to her friends and be with them again, if she didn't care then why would she think about that?

Why is it that you envision Ranka as such a distasteful character? False impressions? No the things that she did weren't false impressions, she did it for others not herself so I really don't see how she gave false impressions. If she were running away, she would have never gone to the Vajra home planet, Ranka would have just gone into space and looked for another planet where she could start a new life, that's running away in my opinion. Instead she confronted the Vajra not only to bring Ai-kun back but to stop the war because she felt guilty that her singing brought the Vajra to Frontier. She knew very well because she sang and brought the Vajra to Island 3 in order to detonate that bomb.

Quote:
No, I doubt she cared for her friends. None of her friends and family, including Ozma, measures up to Alto in terms of importance. The pivotal moment of episode 21 proved it, where she made one of the gravest decision in the series. She left the Frontier mainly because her puppy love went unanswered, not because she suddenly had this lofty ideal of world-peace. You wish to excuse her from blame thinking she had a higher goal, that is fine, but despite her alleged good-motives, you can never deny the fact that her execution was utterly flawed and irresponsible.

And don't tell me there was no better way to handle her situation.

- Tak (And being a kid can only go so far as an excuse)
I would like to know why you think that Ranka doesn't care about her friends and Ozma (which is her only familiy, at least in Frontier.) She wouldn't cry for Ozma if she didn't care about him and like I said before, there is a scene where she thinks about her friends so I do think she cares about them enough.

Ok yes she did leave but not because her love went unanswered, I don't understand where you get that notion from but if she did leave for that reason, than why did she initially ask Alto to come with her? I mean if that were the reason, than she would have just gone straight to Brera right away. Honestly, if you believe that she's the worst character in the series, then so be it but I would appreciate it if some of you would stop saying that I'm denying things because I'm not, I'm expressing my opinions that are equal to yours.