View Single Post
Old 2011-09-12, 08:17   Link #46
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

As expected. The tension with Ko was awkwardly rushed through in six minutes, and we went straight back to the inn. Which I'll openly admit was the lions share of what made this episode good. Conflict with Grandma (who apparently has supernatural body washing skills!) is taking the center stage, and she's turning into quite the final boss. I suppose her problem is because of all the unhappiness the inn caused her children when they were growing up, she's thinking of the Inn as capable of bringing happiness to anybody aside from herself. So she's convinced herself she has to take it out back and shoot it.

If this is the kind of mentality Sui has developed, it does make quite a bit of senses why Enishi/Takako have gotten quite a bit of development during this second season. As much as Grandma likes allot of the developing traits Ohana has, she isn't capable of running an inn. So sending Enishi through tribulations/trials by fire to get him out of his sisters shadow is vital if you want the inn to stay alive.

Also. Jiramouru ACTUALLY isn't a complete hack writer! It seems he actually was involved with something that emotionally touched at least a small group of people. Though it turned out to be QUITE the shocking realization to both Tohru and Minko.

I think I'll reiterate the spirit of what I said last episode. the whole Ko/Ohana thing was a matter of the two groups contesting it would happen missing two things.

-People who didn't think Ko/Ohana was happening (me included) missed out on how much emphasis was put into the sentimental scenes between the two, even if they only consisted of phone calls. They were instead focusing on something else, which the Ko/Ohana shippers totally missed.

-Ko/Ohana shippers missed out on the fact that there WAS no nitty gritty relationship development between the two. There were plenty of *cute* emotional scenes, but nothing that told us how they really interacted together as a couple. So much of the show involved their acute separation, that nothing could really get developed. Hence having Ko *learn to love Kissou* by watching a damn video tape, then giving him and Ohana six minutes to sort out all the angst.

I suppose the misunderstanding comes from everybody assuming Ko/Ohana would be resolved in a well written manner. Shippers thought they'd come together more naturally/with build up, and *forever alone* advocates such as myself thought the lack of build up indicated they were doing something that they ended up not going for.

Although I used Ko/Ohana developing this way as an example of why it probably wouldn't happen, all our respective analysis probably would have been more accurate if we had accounted for sloppy writing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ID555 View Post
Damn Minchi and Tooru look good together. Alas, Tooru is completely unaffected by her. Also, completely understand Ko's emotional high when he did that victory yell. Nice way to end Ko and Ohana's bit.

Shit, it's going to end soon, isn't it? T_T
Ko's emotional high is rather refreshing, since he's largely been passive/ineffectual this entire show. Though really, he should have been demonstrating stuff like this MUCH earlier in the show if they wanted him to be a more rounded character.