View Single Post
Old 2011-07-06, 03:20   Link #7456
azul120

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynor View Post
How is behind their backs? It's not like the UFN said (that we know of) "and don't listen to anything they say, fight to the last!" It was a MILITARY operation by a THIRD PARTY who were CONTRACTED to do something. As far as we know the HOW was totally up to them to figure out. If the commander thinks a ceasefire is a good idea (especially given what happened) it isn't like he needs to ask his superiors... he is the one in ultimate command.
The decision was made by Ohgi, one of the subordinates, without a word to the UFN. That's pure insubordination.

Quote:
Where does he leave the other member nations out to dry also? They have no military power there (or anywhere) as to join the UFN they had to give it up. It's not like he pulled the BK back and let the Chinese Fed. army keep fighting...
That's exactly why the nations were left to dry. They were DEPENDENT on the BKs ever since they relinquished all military responsibilities to them. The BKs were militarily responsible for them, and they abandoned them.

Quote:
I can maybe buy/understand the thought that in other areas they may be left hanging except for two things:

1. Given how the Britannia Army operates it was probably only over Area 11 that there was a ceasefire. So if the BK had any units elsewhere they would still defend the areas they were stationed in.
They were giving up their key leader, their best chance at victory, as part of their ceasefire. A ceasefire, which by the way, likely meant a cessation of conflict against Britannia, meaning the nation was still a problem for the rest of the world. Not to mention there's no guarantee they wouldn't go after Japan again.

Quote:
2. If indeed all the BK strength was in Area 11 then they had already "betrayed" the UFN by not leaving a token defense force or something behind. But you have to figure the UFN had already known that and was ok with it.
This was the initial front of the conflict, and the Knights of the Round were sent in against them, so I guess that would account for it.

Quote:
I understand that you want to paint Lelouch in a good light and most others are evil I can even sympathize with that as I don't think anyone would argue that Lelouch didn't get the short end of the stick and the betrayal of the BK was in bad tastes. That they didn't even give Lelouch a chance to argue his case was bad, especially given all he had done for them.

That doesn't make them out to be the "super evil omg they all need to go die in fire" people that (the way I read it) you're making them out to be though. I'm not trying to say they were saints, again they definitely weren't. But if you take a step back from "omg villain, don't care about them" attitude you can see why they did what they did. You can also see that some things you're trying to lay the blame on them for (like betraying the UFN) may be more a product of hatred for them.
It's not so much a case of sheer hatred as it is one of incompetence, myopia (Japan at the expense of the world) and hypocrisy.

Quote:
Lelouch kept secrets and did things that people questioned. Even though he didn't think that they would get out, they did. Todo found out about the slaughter at the Order thing, and without context (and since no one knew about Geass...) that looks very VERY bad. He was keeping Corneillia locked up in secret on board the flagship too. Then what Villetta knew about him and told Ohgi... I bet she told him all about how he Geassed her, blackmailed her into helping him on school, etc. Again, those things look very bad. Then find out that he (and whether he meant to or not he did) ordered the death of lots of Japanese people to try to rally people to cause... He was supposed to be freeing them, not murdering them.
You're using Villetta as en example? Don't mean to sound crass, but oh brother. She was the ENEMY, who had been keeping Lelouch under surveillance early in R2. He blackmailed her to get out of her grip. Don't tell me she didn't have it coming, especially after she tried to use Shirley on him, and had already used Lelouch as a stepping stone towards nobility. She practically played the victim card there. Besides, Ohgi was guilty of keeping his relationship with her a secret, which was responsible for him getting incapacitated during the Black Rebellion, and him going AWOL from the knights to see her knowing she would kill her. To be blunt, I wish she and Ohgi died at the bottom of the waterfall. We would have been spared the Zero Requiem and their undeserved happy ending.

Besides, the Black Knights were way too passive aggressive about how they confronted Lelouch. Kallen gave him a chance, while the others went Kangaroo Court on him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactics View Post
I can't say that Lelouch kept secret from everyone is wrong.
Look at Lelouch itself, what'll happens if everyone know that he's an exiled Brittania Prince, especially when he leads an anti-Brittania resistance, including the fact that his only goal is to form a gentle world for his sister--a very selfish and childish thought.
Ultimately, Lelouch used Nunnally as an excuse for the kind of world he wanted to create. He was far from perfect, but he had nobler goals than most of the other characters. He had to put up with a lot of crap in his backstory (rewatch episode 7 of season 1) with no true parental figure to guide him after he was exiled. And at the same time, he continued to be a Cosmic Plaything throughout much of the series, the victim of many a Diabolus Ex Machina.

Last edited by azul120; 2011-07-06 at 04:12.
azul120 is offline   Reply With Quote