Thread: Licensed Boku no Hero Academia
View Single Post
Old 2016-12-04, 03:58   Link #2416
Darius Drake

^ That's his answer. He was expecting a Naruto/Sasuke type relationship between Deku/Bakugou. Not only doesn't that happen, now that we're having a fight between them, it's not anything like a Naruto/Sasuke fight. If anything, Deku & Bakugou are going through the emotional opposite of what Naruto & Sasuke go through in their fights.

In my interpretation, during a Naruto/Sasuke fight, Naruto's viewpoint is "If I can beat him down enough, I can get him to listen to me and help him!", while Sasuke's is basically going "I fell horrible and want to torture myself. There is a way to fight against what makes me feel this way, and you're standing between me and it. I will beat you out of my way to feel better about myself and to get past you."

This fight, however, has neither of those. In my interpretation of the comic, Bakugou's fighting because he is suffering from powerful self-hate type emotions, sure. But the real reason he's fighting seems more because he doesn't have an outlet, and getting beat up on seems like a good outlet. Not saying that he's going to throw the fight, or particularly hold back (beyond what he would do in a spar, anyway). But that he's seeing being hurt as punishment for the disasters he feels personally responsible for.

Deku, meanwhile, isn't fighting to get Bakugou to listen to him, nor is he trying to tell him "the disasters weren't your fault". They weren't, both of them know this, and they both know that Bakugou still feels responsible for quite reasonable reasons. Deku agreeing to fight isn't either a "I'll beat you until your senses return", nor is it a "I'll beat you and then talk to you until your senses return". It's a "Okay, I understand what you're going through. Fine, we can fight seriously to help you work through this your way".

This is a diversion from normal anime tropes, kind of like Bakugou not being an idiot despite being a powerful individual prone to rage and other massive emotions. A smart, irritable person is NOT common in Japanese Managa & Anime, and yet here's one showing himself off for the world to see. However, this Author seems to enjoy doing things like this. It's part of why I like him so much.
Darius Drake is offline   Reply With Quote