View Single Post
Old 2007-12-23, 08:22   Link #85
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Send a message via ICQ to MrProphet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger night View Post
Hi, I don't understand the end of this anime.

In my opinion I think that the Puppet Master isn't able to have a complete union with Motoko, because we see that she did'nt lose her personality. Is it possible? I mean... maybe in the end the Puppet Master leaves Motoko. He is the only one that knows her very well.. and he pretend to be also a part of her.
He didn't pretend.

Puppeteer and Motoko Kusanagi are two parts of a larger intelligent entity that was borne out of Motoko's incorporation of multiple AI and human personalities during her travels on the net.

They are independent from each other, which is why she didn't realize at first that he was doing it all behind her back, but together they are part of a group consciousness that the Major has evolved into.

You can think of it as a sort of an upgraded version of the cyberbrain hub that Kuze operated together with the refugees and Puppeteer operated together with noble rot senior citizens. Each part of the cyberbrain hub retains its individuality, but together they form a gestalt, a sum that is greater that its constituent parts.

The Major is that gestalt. Her Puppeteer part and her Motoko part worked apart from each other, but both followed a sort of general philosophy of right/wrong and what-is-to-be-done that the Major ascribed to.

It might be a bit confusing how Motoko is both aware and non-aware of what's going on with her, but it makes perfect sense if you have read the Ghost in the Shell 2: Man-Machine Interface manga by Masamune Shirow.

Solid State Society doesn't follow MMI verbatim, but SSS is sort of made up from themes from the Innocence movie (Batou's storyline) and the MMI manga (Motoko's storyline). Read MMI, it explains Motoko's group consciousness in greater detail.

I think Kamiyama assumed that the audience is familiar with his work, but also with Oshii's and Shirow's work. And while they are not absolutely necessary to understand what's going on in SSS, they are a good source of further material on the subject of SSS.
MrProphet is offline   Reply With Quote