View Single Post
Old 2010-12-07, 19:55   Link #137
DasDingus
Dango Daikaizoku

Triple_R covered most of what I wanted to say about the development (or lack thereof) in the characters of oreimo. I would, however, like to elaborate on the distinction I draw between character development and plot development and how it works with respect to ep10 of oreimo.

I feel like episode 10 had a lot of what I would call plot development. Things I would categorize as plot development include revelations about a character's past, introduction of new characters etc. Examples of this in ep10 would include the introduction/expansion of kanakana's character, explanation of how ayase feels about gravure modeling vs cosplay etc. These are events/ideas that change how the viewer thinks about a character by revealing more about the character.

Conversely, there was minimal character development in episode 10. In my mind, character development occurs when I character acts in one way, and then acts differently later in response to to some kind of trigger in the plot. Oreimo in general has been severely lacking in this department. The only real character development in this episode was the fact that Ayase now is willing to try to be friends with Kirino despite her anime/eroge obsessions. However, this is minimal development as Ayase still insists that she hates those things and beyond that it only involves a minor side-character rather than one of the main characters. We have not seen a lot of cases of events that change how the viewer feels about a character by changing how the character acts.

This isn't to say that what I describe as plot development is necessarily bad. I just find that if a character-driven show relies entirely on plot developments to define its characters rather than having those characters grow and change in their own right then the show feels quite hollow.