View Single Post
Old 2009-07-10, 20:39   Link #1133
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean_the_Young View Post
He, arguably, intended to enact it through force. How it would be maintained was never addressed. Besides, wasn't the mars plan enacted through a war? At least there were many wars before the plan was enforced, which keeps it analogous to Earth.
Could you point a reference of these wars in the manga? I thought the Mars colony was specifically made to accomodate a DP-like plan. In other words, they chose that type of system when they made the colony, but it's been a while since I read the manga.
Quote:
Either way, it's another classic case of 'do the ends justify the ends?' Lacus and Kira, at least, felt yes, so I'd personally consider the end case of what happens after either Durandle or Lacus and co had succeded. One was peace across a planet which had regularly fallen into genocidal warfare and racism, and the other... didn't solve the problems that caused it to happen.
I believe the more realistic end case is that on one hand, you have the possibility of lasting peace (it's still a possibility, just because it may have worked in Mars doesn't mean it will work everywhere and who's to say that the Mars colony would never have war in the future) all at the cost of freedom over your destiny and all the implications this will have on the coordinator vs natural issue. On the other hand you have the status quo, where while there may still be wars, there will also be times of peace and growth.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote