View Single Post
Old 2010-09-14, 09:58   Link #889
spawnofthejudge
Explodes when thrown
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwai View Post
I gave Gunners a go today (promoted Erik, and swapped Avan from Trooper Veteran), but I'm still sceptical.

Yes, the machine gun deals more damage, but you end up wasting most of the shots from the cone of fire if you end up going against single targets.

As for intercepting fire, I had hoped that Gunners could hold a camp well with so much ammo, but I've found that they are often short on targets, because I've already gone and killed all the surrounding enemies when I've broken through a newly captured gateway.
I actually discovered another shining point: Combo attacks. They don't do their spread shot if they're doing support fire, so have them go first on a boss, then come up with a Commando or Elt Trooper next to them and the damage is HUGE.

You don't need many Gunners though. I do with two at any given time (and three traditional Troopers), and you could probably get away with one.

As for holding camps, they're great for when you broke through a Gateway camp with one CP to go in the turn. Have them kill the guard on the other side and crouch where they were and you'll find easy pickings (if anything survived) to kill next turn.