View Single Post
Old 2013-03-21, 21:49   Link #104
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
I am going to add another reason (at least in terms of message boards more so than blogs). When you are discussing characters, plot, and theme there is just a whole lot more to discuss and debate.

Triple R and Myself can go back and forth on what we feel about Yakomaru's motives in Shin Sekai Yori but while it is very interesting we might not go back and forth on what the director was trying to convey in this scene using the visuals.
Ideally, what the visuals say can be added to those back and forth discussions. It's possibly less important in shows that use lots of dialogue to express its meanings, but it can be useful nonetheless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warm Mist View Post
Specialized tools? I think anyone that paid attention during the watch and is willing to translate their reactions to written word can talk about how a screen was positioned, how the lighting affected the scene, how the animation moved, etc.
You don't need to be a film student or anything of the sort. I'm pretty sure most people here aren't literary students, let alone writers or scholars, yet the dialogue and plot of a show get dissected to the most minimal details.

I think it goes back to what Dawnstorm said; most of those elements, when successful, tend to be invisible to let the story shine. They are there, and are as important (if not more) than the script, but the idea is that most viewers shouldn't notice their presence. Only people willing to notice them will talk about them.
I don't think that it's nearly as easy as you make it out to be. I've seen lots of cases where posters get confused about what good animation, backgrounds, lighting are. If basics like this are hard to grasp, then more complex concepts like the meaning behind certain directional techniques is going to be just about impossible. I would imagine that a lot gets filtered out by a casual viewer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
I personally felt that Angel Beats! looked and sounded very nice. Mind you, that's going off of a fading memory - I haven't watched Angel Beats! since it finished airing.

However, when people heavily criticize the visuals in Angel Beats! is when I start to feel lost when it comes to evaluating animation quality. Like I don't have "the eye" and/or the training necessarily to judge animation. I've seen Angel Beats! get bashed a lot for its animation quality, and honestly, I don't know why people consider it so bad. In contrast, when people criticize an anime's writing quality, I at least "get" what they're saying, even if I don't agree with it.

Maybe it would help if people could point towards a particular sequence in Angel Beats! where the animation was noticeably bad.
I'm lazy, so I'm just going to steal borrow these examples from elsewhere:

You can think of it as one of those "how many mistakes can you find?" puzzles.