View Single Post
Old 2010-12-16, 12:19   Link #19825
chronotrig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renall View Post
I'm pretty sure the spirit of that rule is violated by Disguise Shkanon. Sorry, but you can't possibly argue that the literary cheapness that "lol twin brother with no evidence" constitutes is somehow any different from "lol one person disguised as two with no evidence."
I agree with you completely, but how exactly do you define 'evidence'? Do you mean a trick like this isn't fair unless you can prove absolutely that they're the same person?

To put it another way, could you prove that Kinzo was dead before the reveal in EP4? Many of us guessed it, since it was the easiest of Umineko's secrets, but I don't think there's any absolute evidence for it. However, even though it can't be proven, it makes many scenes add up in a way they didn't before, so people accept it as a good theory.

Shkanon is the same. Whether you noticed them or not (I didn't), there are plenty of hints to let people think up the theory. This has been proven beyond any doubt by the simple fact that it existed before EP5. And, if you apply that theory, several scenes like the (now confirmed) lack of Shannon's corpse in EP1, the EP2 backstory scenes (which must be reread to be understood), the EP3 first twilight (why did the culprit choose to make a closed room of that complicated shape), and the lack of Kanon's corpse in EP2 and EP4 all make sense.

To simplify this even more, EP3 is the only time in any game when both corpses are found, and in every other game, at least one of them disappears at or immediately after the first twilight, never to be seen again, dead or alive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renall View Post
Ignoring that nobody is that stupid, let me present a scenario that is very likely to happen at some point and completely outside the control of this disguise ninja:

Natsuhi says "I'd like all the servants to be present for a meeting. I'll need Runon, Manon, Shannon, and Kanon present on that day."

Shkanon does... what now?

It's fiction.
More or less covered that here. It isn't really that hard to get out of this situation, and Shkanon doesn't require anyone to be stupid, with the possible exception of Natsuhi. You can't just say "oh, such a thing sounds stupid". You have to actually look critically at the facts and see, for every person, whether they were likely to notice or respond to Shkanon.

I'll add that, if Natsuhi instead says "I want to meet all of the servants right now", Genji or Shannon can just say that Kanon is in Kinzo's study. Natsuhi isn't allowed in there, and the rumors suggest that some servants have spent large amounts of time alone with Kinzo in his study. The fact that Kinzo's sudden whims make for an excellent excuse has been pounded into us over and over again by now.

Quote:
"They never appear at the same time" is not evidence.
Not entirely true. That they never appear at the same time is not proof, but it is suspicious. If a detective investigating this case was aware of that fact, they would be smart to question both servants at the same time, especially when there's a history of pranks in this mansion, which must either have been the doing of a family member or a servant. And since some of the more complicated pranks would seem to require multiple people, at least one servant is probably implicated. In fact, since the pranks seem to be of an occult nature, and the old shut-in of a family head is fascinated by the occult, it's very possible that even he is somehow involved.

The point of Umineko is that we can't open the cat box and question the witnesses. No matter how much we suspected that Kinzo was dead, we couldn't have proven it until the answer was confirmed in EP4. But we could still make theories about it and find the answer.

www.witch-hunt.com Theory page

Last edited by chronotrig; 2010-12-16 at 12:45.
chronotrig is offline   Reply With Quote