View Single Post
Old 2013-02-11, 23:09   Link #18
Darthtabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagoshod View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthtabby View Post
Ever heard of the rule "show, don't tell?" Showing hell on the frontlines through the eyes of one of a girl who grew up to become one of the show's main characters is more effective at establishing why humanity needs new weapons then a boring narration info dump would have been.
Yes, and showing the horrors of war in an alien-infested world WOULD have made sense if the rest of the series had actually been about the horrors of war in an alien-infested world.
And it somehow doesn't make sense to showcase hell on the frontlines in a war against aliens when the rest of the series involves developing weapons to help in the fight against those aliens? I think the point I made still stands, alongside with others I made in the same post.

Its fine to dislike a show because something about it did didn't work for you. I've had a nuimber of series that just didn't work very well for me. But that doesn't mean the writers are idiots for handling things the way they did. The writers of TE had plenty of good reasons to write the first two episodes the way they did, especially when you take the need to establish Yui's character and cultural background into account.