View Single Post
Old 2006-10-12, 14:31   Link #174
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by houkoholic View Post
Mentioning Kanon and Love Hina in the same sentence is a crime. Love Hina was derivative of previous work with it's harem comedy but Kanon revolutionised the bishoujo game market with its story-telling. The meme "sad girl in snow" was born as a direct reference to Nayuki of Kanon, this is how influential Kanon's storytelling on otakus was.
<rofl> I wasn't *comparing* the two ... just mentioning that in order to understand the *impact* Kanon 2002 had - you have to put in context with what else was going on at the time (e.g. Love Hina, etc.) There are aspects to Love Hina I enjoyed (in point, any time Motoko was onscreen) but the show was a rambling mess. The original Kanon left it in the dust (though they weren't really competing directly since one was supposed to be a slapstick comedy and the other a drama).

Probably most of you are too young to remember the explosive impact Star Wars had when it was released in 1977. The movie industry was a boring morass of jaded introspection at the time. Star Wars kicked it through the goalpost (which makes what was done with it in the last ten years by its creator an especially heinous crime). Kanon's appearance in 2002 had comparable ripples within the anime industry.

edit: hmmm, I apologize for my initial rating of Kanon2k6ep1 .... I was being too conservative after a single viewing. On subsequent viewing a lot of the KyoAni penchant for the little things came through. The VA Sugito's voice is just very rich here as well and <squeal> for Ayu.

Last edited by Vexx; 2006-10-13 at 16:47.