View Single Post
Old 2009-05-28, 15:51   Link #2834
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by -KarumA- View Post
I had some questions about athlete's foot (got one answered by wiki already about the English name)
I was wondering about several things I heard and used, I got this on one foot about 5 months ago and the doc gave me a cream for it however it didn't work at all, I went tot he doc again and she gave me another but again no result. It's starting to hurt a little now so I bought a spray from the store to try out, I also have powder for in my shoes. First question would cream or spray be better, I spray my foot and then rub the substance over the bottom and spots that are irritated (the lose skin parts), I used it about 10 mins ago and my feet feel kind of funny lol which I hope means that it is working.

My mom mentioned about cotton socks, I went to the stores today looking for 100% cotton socks but all I could find were either 75 % or 80% cotton and the rest polyester, which is hardly different from the socks I wear daily, does it have to be 100% cotton?. And she mentioned buying better anti-athlete's foot bottoms for in my shoes, which I find a little too extreme and too expensive, but should I buy new shoes as well because of this infection? and what can I use in my own home to fight against this athlete's foot, I heard jodium is a recommendation to put on your foot but I'm not sure myself
Ideally you want to keep your feet dry. Cotton socks "breathe" better than polyester. 100% cotton isn't necessarily important - but the more cotton content, the better. You may also want to consider using talcum power (also known as "baby powder") on your feet - you put some on, then put your socks on. It helps to keep your feet dry, as well. You may want to read up on it first to make sure that it's OK to use it even in the case of a fungal infection.

Other things to consider... don't wear your socks when you don't have to (that'll also help to keep your feet dry). Spray vs. cream: a spray sounds pretty gimmicky, use a cream and rub it in well. Be careful if you have breaks in your skin - try to avoid getting the cream into/onto them, as that can irritate the region and hamper the body's healing there.

Ultimately, be careful of any advice you get here (including my own). Do some thorough Googling of any and all products and recommendations, and above all, listen to your doctor.