View Single Post
Old 2006-07-27, 09:52   Link #26
Swampstorm
Lovestruck Fool
*Fansubber

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by kauldron26
As happy as i am about this episode, i just hope the story goes somewhere and doesnt end up being a whole bg misunderstanding and then everyone goes back to their daily lives with some funny stuff here and there. As much as i love this show, i want to see characters grow. for 40 episodes now its all Tenma-chan, Tenma-chan, Tenma-chan. If Harima doesnt start growing im just going to give up on the show. i love Harima and School rumble, what makes an anime great are its characters and their growth. For 40 episodes its all "will harima confess?? will harima confess, wll harma confess, will harima confess?? its becoming episodic. But thankfully this episode opens the door to new possibilities, and im really happy. If everything past this episode doesnt affect any character in anyway, and its back to the same old formula and antics, then i guess im off the School Rumble boat. Great ride though.... i just want a destination.
If you're viewing the entire series with the assumption that Tenma is the main protagonist, then you're probably not going to see very much progress. Tenma is primarily a comic character, and much of the humor associated with her character depends on Tenma behaving in the usual, predictable way. As a result, the episodes where her character gets the spotlight (especially the early episodes of Season 1) tend to have the feel of a gag series (like Azumanga). The main running plotline, however, is based around Eri's character, which starts at around Ep.10 of Season 1. Eri, by contrast, is a dynamic, growing character who maintains a balance of both comedy and drama. If you review the storyline from her angle, you'll find more than enough character depth and development to keep you occupied. I'd easily rank her alongside classic characters like Ayukawa Madoka of KOR in that regard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimmecash
I know why SR has no ending, the author wants more money.
Based on the available interview with KJ, I'd tend to disagree with that statement. Remember, the central conflict that was introduced from day 1 of the series was Karasuma's departure in March, at the end of the school year. Right now, the series is only in December in terms of the anime (February for the manga). Things will start coming together, soon enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thundrakkon
Yakumo only reads people's minds when they exhibit strong desire/love for her. Tenma was only thinking about how to keep Harima away, so it did not fit the criteria necessary for Yakumo to read her mind. Besides, Yakumo has not read anyone's all season long. Besides, she was trying her best to ask what is going on and keep Harima, but Tenma was too stubborn, and as older sister, had the right kick him out. As a traditional woman (Yakumo), you don't defy your elder's (in this case, Tenma) decisions in the Asian culture, even if you don't agree with it.
There aren't any consistant rules that govern when Yakumo's mind reading ability kicks in. For the most part, it's a plot device that kicks in whenever the mangaka sees fit. Yakumo could read Tenma's mind when she had to choose between the two ingredient cards in Season 1, and yet there was no strong love/desire present at that point in time.

While I'm aware that Yakumo was initially introduced in the series as the ideal traditional woman, I think it's an oversimplification to say that she strictly adheres to that standard (as a matter of fact, I also think that there's another character that fits that stereotype more closely, but I'll leave that one for next week ). Yakumo does question Tenma's ideas and rebels against them on a number of occasions throughout the series. As you saw in the incident concerning the editor in S2 Ep.15 and the dog in the OVAs, Yakumo is more than capable of taking action when it suits her. For the most part, however, she doesn't feel the need to rebel against the requests of others. You'll probably need to view the storyline about the Tsukamoto sisters' childhood if you want to understand the underlying nature of their relationship. It's quite different from what you might expect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thundrakkon
Eri did not appear like her usual self in this episode. Usually a lot more perceptive, she seems clueless and non-chalant at times. I guess it has to do with the drama surrounding her right now, but it still feels like its not really her in this episode.
You're right about the fact that Eri seems different. A significant portion of this story arc is dedicated towards challenging many of our prior perceptions of Eri's character. Early on in the series, many of us were initially led to believe that Eri was a selfish, spoilt, rich girl with the typical tsundere insecurities. With this episode, you see a different side to her character being brought to the forefront. The most important point to note here is Eri's overwhelming concern for everyone else's needs. Eri is worried about imposing on Mikoto, and tries to shoulder her burdens in secret. She's also concerned about her parents desires, and feels that she must sacrifice her own desires to satisfy their wishes. During the bath scene, Mikoto asks Eri about her relationship with Harima - at which point she brings up the other established pairings: Mikoto and Asou, Nagayama and Tanaka, Madoka and Shigeo - and how she envies their position, which is something that she feels is impossible for her to attain with the upcoming omiai. With these words, not only do you see the extent to which Eri has fallen in love with Harima, but you also see just how much Eri is willing to sacrifice for the happiness of others. This is selflessness - and if you look back through the series, you'll find plenty of smaller incidents which were showing just this very quality in her, all along.

Typically, Eri takes the spotlight whenever Harima is around, so most of our experiences with her involve her reacting to Harima in some form or the other. This episode gives Harima and the viewers a chance to see Eri from a fresh perspective, free from all of the initial prejudices that initially clouded our vision. Instead of her pride and her anger, we see the inner fears and troubles that she tries to conceal behind them - and we see the genuine feelings that Eri has for those around her. Eri is clueless here because she needs to be. This is so that we can see her with her guard down - to see her for who she really is. With this storyline, expect to see quite a few dogmas shattered - not just those of the viewers, but those of Harima, as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredder
I agree with what someone else said that Eri wasn't herself in this ep--she's been out of it for several eps now. I suspected there was some kind of marriage thing going on; was she meeting some suitor at the nice restaurant several eps ago?
The dinner in Ep.12, with an individual named Hayashi, is unrelated, to the best of my knowledge (for all we know, the guy might even be her father). Eri's dinner was not a part of the original manga. If I'm not mistaken, Eri doesn't know anything about her potential suitor at this point in time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredder
I thought I saw some Eri blush in the next ep--can't wait! I think Tenma's funny as hell, I'm having temptations to defect to Correct Path faction unless Eri starts to show some pizazz. I'm not too cool with all the depression and funk stuff.
Eri has always been a blend of drama and comedy. Undergoing hardships and difficulty is part of the process by which she overcomes her weaknesses and insecurities, and brooding helps to build up dramatic tension for these conflicts. These story arcs follow a crisis/catharsis routine - dramatic tension is built up, and then released at the climax of the story. Even the dance at the Sports Festival was preceded by a set of difficulties that the characters had to overcome. What's more - this story is even bigger.

If you're mainly interested in someone to provide entertaining faces and comedy, Tenma is a more consistant choice. Personally, I'm more a fan of sap than gags, so my preference is for Eri.