View Single Post
Old 2008-03-04, 22:47   Link #726
arkhangelsk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy C View Post
Ark, as Avatar and the others keep trying to tell you, that's because the process was stopped before it really begun! I don't get, they mentioned it several times, had Precia actually completed her task with the Seeds, it would have destroyed the planet. All the damage we did see was merely from the initial stage, the process hadn't really gotten underway before it was stopped. Yet you always ignore that, why? You don't think things couldn't have gotten worse had she not been stopped?
And as I keep trying to tell them, because of this, we are conveniently unable to get an actual measurement of what would have happened.

Yeah, one can agree it'll probably have gotten worse, but how much worse is a huge question mark. As Tigerclaw mentioned, even if we grant the "destroy" part, there is a huge range of what defines destruction, and without the visual we plain don't know what it is.

And remember, the whole thing was ostensibly stopped by Lindy putting her foot down - which means that it was nothing beyond personal resources, and we've seen the limits of mage resources on the physical dimension.

It depends on what you use as your base. It is clear that everyone is working from their words to excuse all contradictory observations, so I'm working from the actual observations of actual activations available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatar_notADV View Post
Good point, that.

Or rather, wait a second. Shouldn't every scientist on Earth be freakin' out a few days after that? Apparently sourceless earthquakes are kind of a big deal, no? (Unless you're going to argue that it was limited to the Uminari area, which would be... weird...)

On the other hand, it's entirely possible that the TSAB's in touch with a few Earth governments for precisely this sort of scenario. "Uh... yeah. There was an event yesterday, don't worry, not your fault and won't affect y'all any further... Just don't panic, 'kay?" Of course, that implies competent_TSAB, which isn't what we have.
I seriously doubt the feasibility of that. That'll stop the government investigation but not the private level ones at such interesting phenomena.

Here's my shot - there was no quake at all, as least as perceivable by the inhabitants within our 3D dimension. The dimension itself is being shaken, so if you place a camera with a frame of reference outside the dimension (or is it just the camera that is being shaken?), you'll see some relative movement and that might explain the small amount of vibration you see on screen, while squaring the circle that no one is even taking anti-earthquake countermeasures because there's no movement from their frame of reference inside the dimension.

For them, the most interesting thing is the poles of light, which is a lot more concealable (requires line of sight for easy observation) than a seismic wave that hits seimographs around the world. And , pushing to a fringier extent just for the moment, even that can be rationalized away as a representation of magic for the viewer's benefit, and the characters are just looking up at the stormy sky. This will square the circle as to why no one had to repair the stuff engulfed in those pillars.

By the way, why are you willing to assume they aren't competent, but refuse to entertain the possibility they could be wrong about the JS?