View Single Post
Old 2009-10-01, 12:01   Link #142
JMvS
Rawrrr!

There is nothing to say about his extradition:

-he was sentenced guilty and escaped a sentence.
-an extradition notice was issued to our police.
-our police arrested him accordingly.
-he will receive his sentence and serve it, be it 1 week or 150 years it has no importance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quzor View Post
Erm... last time I checked, in modern democracies, more than strict utilitarian concerns, we are more concerned about staying true to the values we perceive our society is based on (as changing as they may be). And disregarding HOW it is applicated, the law has to be applied to all indiscriminately.

There are a lot of similar things where on a strict utilitarian point of view we waste tons of money, some crucial, other vains or deformed. After all, as the old man said, it is the worst system, but there are no better one's.

But if you consider utility more important, and are ready to make a few compromises, either you go toward anarchy (why wasting time and resources to create and implement laws? it's such a hassle).

Or, as having and organized society has shown several benefits, there a very simple ways to cut costs:
-Why keep criminals in prison when you can sentence them to death and execute them at the end of the trial? You can even cut down the costs further if you charge his assets or relatives for it!
-Why bother with democracy? It's such a wasteful system! have you any idea of the costs of a single elections! Imagine if you have to organise and spend money for everybody to vote on everything! To vote only for El Presidente life-term is for sure much more economical, and why bother organizing an election if he's already in power or has a successor ready?

BTW, I am very happy living in a country without death penalty, where we vote on everything every two months on average, and I am proud of it's institutions.