View Single Post
Old 2011-02-03, 08:56   Link #7
Echoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrw View Post
most of deen hated is form VN fan base. if you just think F/SN and higurashi as stand alone anime. they actually pretty good. furthermore VN tend to hard to animate.
Even without having played the visual novels, I'll happily concede that this is probably true. Adaptations are hard to pull off, and even when they are done flawlessly, they still won't please many of the fans of the original content. This is partially because you develop your own ideas of how things should be when you read/play through it, and any deviation from that will displease you. Like you mentioned, it is the same when it comes to movies. A lot of people did not like Lord of the Rings because it just felt different. The images on screen didn't match what their imagination conjured up as they were reading through the book, and no amount of directing and acting can bridge that gap.

I agree that both are good (Higurashi is easily one of my favorite series, ever) as stand-alone anime, and that's all that matters to me. Whether it's a good or bad adaptation, I leave to the fans of the visual novels. It could have butchered the material completely; doesn't really matter to me as long as I enjoyed it.