View Single Post
Old 2012-11-16, 21:25   Link #66
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timsel View Post
By the Qween-Logic
Well, if weight of 37-mm shell is about 0,7 kg and full cartrige must be about 1 kg (it is caseless), we can assume weight of full ammuniton. That gives us a good start - as Dragonkid11 showed to us.
I can see that you're using the GAU-8's ammo as a starting point, but not all 30mm is equal. Given the sizes of the ammo, I'd think that the 36mm shells used by the TSFs would be closer to upsized 30 x 113mm (0.34 kg) used by the Apache's M230 chaingun, rather than the 30 x 173mm used by the A-10's GAU-8.

Assuming a weight of about 0.40 kg (ballpark estimate), a single mag of 2000 shells weighs 800kg; max load is 12 mags, which leads us to 9.6 metric tons of weight for ammo. This is a reasonable figure given stores carried by modern fighters.

Writers can't do math. Sadly, this is pretty much universal, particularly as I'm violating my own racial trait by being decent, instead of genius-level, at math.

Quote:
I don`t see there wings at all. It seems that TFS flying on the engine trust - if they can float as helicopter, and we have often seen that in MLA.
What I can say, that power of their hypothetical engines is truly ridiculous.
Well, you'll get no arguments from me there.

Quote:
Not so simple. When I try to translate Schwarzesmarken, for example, I see TSF fighting along conventional units as tanks, helis, planes (such as T-62, Ми-24, Ми-26 and Ту-95), and it is necesarry to know are TSF bigger or heavier or not.
True, but the narrative will state whether they're larger or smaller in the first place, and again, most of the time the narration will gloss over that stuff anyhow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonkid11 View Post
Lets see...the A-6 Intruder and its variant are the only naval TSF on the entire planet.

They do not have jump units.They have more guns than a normal TSF have.They are heavier because of armor and the number of guns

Basically,they are meant to pop out of the ocean and overwhelm everything with lots of firepower like a walking tank.

They are still screwed if Tank class get too close.
Not correct; Naval TSF means a TSF that is navalised, i.e. optimised for operation by a Navy from a carrier. The F-14 Tomcat and F-18 Hornet and F-18E/F Super Hornets are correctly designated as naval TSFs as they designed to operate from carriers. The Intruder is a naval TSA, and is more specifically designated as a submersible TSA.

TSAs are analogous to attack aircraft in the modern world. They don't spam missiles or drop craptons of bombs; their idea is to bring targeted air support to attack ground targets. As such, attack aircraft will typically have lower performance figures than fighters, as they are oriented towards attacking things that aren't very good at running away. (There are exceptions: the A-4 Skyhawk had an insane roll rate and was a fast, agile little fucker, hence Top Gun and USN aggressors using it, and the modern A-10 can turn decently.)

Generally, little has been stated about the differences between navalised and standard TSFs. Generally, going by what has been done in the real world, navy TSFs probably can fold their jump jets for storage better (maybe) and ought to have additional corrosion protection measures.

As for the Tomcat being designed earlier, it's following our history; the Tomcat was the first of the Teen Fighters to be designed and deployed, as the Navy required an interceptor to take over the role fulfilled by the F-4 Phantom; the Air Force, with different needs, eventually went with the F-X and LWF programs to replace the F-4 in the air superiority and lightweight fighter roles.

I believe in miracles.

Last edited by Wild Goose; 2012-11-16 at 21:36.
Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote