View Single Post
Old 2012-02-21, 16:16   Link #102
Clarste
Human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
... Why? People in real life talk about themselves all the time. Facebook alone is an excellent example of this.

People generally like to express themselves, and share their experiences and important background details about themselves, with their friends and loved ones. That's perfectly realistic, in-character (in at least some cases), and not jarring.

It would be perfectly natural for Kanbaru to talk about her favorite foods or sports or recent accomplishments, for Tsubasa to talk about her best subjects and some of her personal interests, for Nadeko to talk about her favorite types of shows and games (well, I guess we at least found out she likes Twister ), etc..., etc...

We get so few details of this nature on either of the characters, and these are the sorts of things that, in my opinion, can breath some welcomed life and realism into a character while adding to their distinctiveness. These are also the sorts of specific character details that often can't be inferred from unrelated conversation or dialogue.
That's what you were doing about? I thought you were talking about their secret worries or traumatic pasts or whatever. I'd count "favorite foods" and "best subjects" as part of the trivial banter. If it contains character development, it could only be in the hows and whys that are left unstated. For the record though, Kanbaru does talk about that kind of stuff, mostly her fetishes but also what she's done with her sports team. And Hanekawa likely doesn't have a best subject because she's more about studying than learning from enthusiasm and she did mention a radio show she listens to back in Bake. And Sengoku can barely string together a coherent sentence in front of Araragi. Everything she does manage to say is pretty heavily calculated, so she's not one for trivial talk.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote