View Single Post
Old 2010-05-24, 18:26   Link #10583
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chronotrig View Post
Well, the Beatrice magic scenes all seem to follow the magic=lies pattern. In other words, it seems as though false things can be shown to the reader if all witnesses claim that it was true. In my Battler-centric theory, false things can be shown as long as Battler would claim that it's true by the game's end. However, I don't think it makes sense to just say "fake scenes exist, therefore any scene can be fake". There has to be some kind of mechanism for determining what's true and what's false or there's no point in showing most of the story. Unless I've missed something.
This would make sense, except there are scenes which have no witnesses to lie about them. The scene itself cannot exist as a construction of any conscious entity on the board other than the culprit, and if the culprit is the sole witness, her or she has absolutely no reason to speak on the matter whatsoever. Thus, there must be scenes which are at best metaphor, and Erika scenes can serve exactly the same purpose.

In addition, casting Erika as "the desire to concoct a seemingly plausible scenario in which to entrap Natsuhi as a murderer" shifts those scenes directly into the magic=lies camp anyway. So really, it is pretty much the same thing.
Renall is offline   Reply With Quote