View Single Post
Old 2011-08-19, 21:20   Link #56
erneiz_hyde
18782+18782=37564

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akito_Kinomoto View Post
But I digress. Overexposure to any medium will often breed contempt through familiarity, usually because one becomes tired of seeing the same old thing over and over. The result is that people become so cynical toward clichés that uniqueness will often become a substitute for quality, when in reality bad writing is bad writing no matter how original or not something is. Speaking of which, fictional tropes have a tendency to be treated differently for anything watched earlier simply for the novelty to the viewer at the time--for example, compare the, er, critical reception of Azumanga Daioh to K-On!--but if one is willing to look hard enough they’ll be able to find stuff that walks the beaten path and look good doing it.
I second this. Also, exposure to the really high quality materials might also "boost up" the lower threshold people can take, and could potentially impair their objectivity.
I watched tsukihime and liked it...until I go read the VN and came to know the Nasuverse. Same thing happened with Higurashi where I watched the anime before even knowing Ryuuksihi.

Regarding originality. Every material in existence has been used before and will again in the future. What differs is only its presentation. Mix-matching, subversion, inversion, reboot, basically any kind of creativity in recycling old materials to create something new. Though you can say "originality" is "that new formula nobody has tried before".