Thread: Jin Kobayashi
View Single Post
Old 2010-05-15, 06:08   Link #117
Sphire

Oh damn, wannabefansubs was a while ago....Oh man I'm remembering the wiki info on SR the people put up......SR had a lot of dedicated fans.

I'm not as pissed at Jin as some others. I read the manga after it was completed, and after realising there would be no season 3 for the anime. I definitely understood some of Master Chibi's points with regards to how nothing ever really happens in SR, and at times that frustrated me too. But I always felt JK would realise this, and do something a bit different, either a new story arc more relevant or such. Even then the rich vein of characters is what always was the best part of the series. Sure nothing technically ever happened, but the characters always grew.

In the end it JK probably ran out of ideas to sustain, believably, SR. IF we could realise the mundane aspects of certain arcs, I do think he could too. I personally hated the Kyoto arc, as it epitomised the 'guruguru mawaru' aspect of the show. But even then, I felt after that he did bring the manga back up a level or two. I for one simply cannot forget Eri being mad at Tenma, one of the best parts of the manga to me. I had the luck of reading the manga in full after it ended, and I think I was more tolerable because of that.

If anything, I'll agree with the ending. It felt rushed, everything seemed to be happening around the walking festival arc, which was weird. And I hated how JK used that female character (the one from the athletics team who was part of the first SR couple) and turned her into something of a slut, kissing all the guys (seemingly to prove Eri's purety, which just felt awkward in the whole scheme of things). Nor did I like the way Yakumo was treated during the walking festival either. But I felt JK had to end it...really, how much more 'guruguru mawaru' could the fans take anyway?

Ah this is getting long, but I was kinda ok with the rest of the ending. Tenma going to Karasuma, Karasuma's illness and Harima getting stuck between Eri and Yakumo. And I hella liked that Harima didn't choose either at the time (which annoys me a bit with regards to SRZ). In that aspect, I felt it was a good ending. There are a few shows out there where I absolutely hate the ending (Clannad AS and Toradora as quick examples), so that part of SR's ending was alright by me. The pie-fight thing...well that just seemed like a send off more than anything.

One last thing, I understand your recommending it as a 'comedy' show, but if you did so to me, I would imagine it being similar to Lucky Star or Pani Poni Dash or Cromatie High or something. In which I wouldn't have touched the show. But labeling it as 'romantic comedy' would remind me of Seto no Hanayome or Hayate no Gotoku (though this is heavily more comedy) for which I would be a lot more interested, especially if mentioned that there is good character development. I definitely wouldn't go romantic drama though.

In the end though, with all it's flaws, I still love the show. And I'll forever feel it would be one of the great injustices of the anime world if season 3 never gets a proper release...which doesn't look likely. And I would rather thank JK for creating it, than bash him for ending it.