View Single Post
Old 2013-02-18, 14:24   Link #187
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
I personally think that's the wrong way to go about it. For example, I've got a group of friends where we regularly hurl pretty insulting remarks to each other, usually pertaining to race (ex. paki, white trash, nazi, the 'n' word) as we're a mixed bag.

To outsiders, aka "ordinary reasonable 3rd party in the show"? We'd be probably be marked as a bunch of racists. But we all know its done in good fun, and there's no hard feelings at all.

As such, I personally don't find it useful imposing outside values into a group dynamic, and that using someone from within the group is actually best to develop a measuring stick.
I wouldn't mind it if it was on that level since I have friends like that too. But i rarely come across instances when it's focused on one person in particular and that can sometimes be uncomfortable. But the biggest problem I have is the way the story portrays the abuse Sena gets as if she deserved to be humiliated, rather than something that she takes in good faith. Yes she can be obnoxious but I've rarely ever felt the abuse was proportionate (Well the first time Sena ran out crying, i actually thought it was funny since that was just her not being able to put her money where her mouth was but after that it just started getting ridiculous). And despite what some might say, Sena does end up holding it as a grudge and the story makes her look bad for that too so most of the time it's just a no win situation. At the end of the day the story makes it clear Yozora doesn't really want to truly hurt Sena so it's nothing to hold against Yozora but I have a serious dissonance with the story's perspective on things.

Quote:
So yes, IMO, Kodaka is actually the BEST person to guage whether it is bullying or not, considering he made a promise to do so. At the very least, better him than an outsider.
Kodaka, despite his own issues, has pretty often been placed as the mouthpiece of sanity in this show so I'm pretty sure he's meant to be the measuring stick. Unfortunately at times that only further serves to illustrate the story's bizarre perspective on things. For example, when Sena's father raised his concern about Sena being bullied, Kodaka thought the most accurate response was "The truth is, your daughter is a perverted stalker!"....

It was a joke but it was still telling.