View Single Post
Old 2012-04-14, 17:23   Link #219
syke123

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReY4Ever View Post
I do know we have to see it as 'his punishment', but there wasn't anything hinting towards blindness, it could just aswell been any other handicap. It just seemed like they gave him some random things to punish him.

It feels it wasn't given enough thought. The closest to an explanation i've read so far, was it being because he had to look people in to the eyes when extracting their void, although that was discarded halfway trough the series though.

Some people hint that it comes from the crystalization of either Shu himself or Inori (taking over 'the burden'). What comes to my mind immediately is Souta. He had his whole right eye covered, but after being 'cured' doesn't show any signs of blindness, so i find it very hard to figure out where Inori's and Shu's blindness comes from.
I wouldn't say blindness was an abnormal choice, perhaps unnecessary although it gets the writers point across about their views on morality. They were also a little limited on physical impairments since you know, he already lost a limb so they could either go with his sight or his hearing, otherwise it wouldn't stand out much. I also don't think he's completely blind, I believe he only lost a single eye due to the fact that he strolled around the park and made his way to the hotel without a guide. They obviously affirmed that both he and Ayase live elsewhere with Tsugumi and rarely meet, so if he was blind he wouldn't be able to maneuver through the streets by himself, let alone memorize a route that you take once a year.

Then there's his cane which I'm quite skeptical about since you don't completely see the tip, usually the legally blind have a round tipped cane since those offer the best mobility, although judging by its rubber padding I'll assume that it's flat, and serves more on the line of identifying the user's degraded sight, rather than have any mobile support and are generally avoided by the sightless. He was also holding the cane with his prosthetic right arm and if he was blind it'd be pointless to even carry it around since it requires his perception to cohesively use the tool, and a fake metal arm isn't as productive as his own limb. If he does have vision in one of his eyes, it would definitely be his left eye, not his right.

They should have been more conclusive with the aspect and could've added a few lines of dialogue between the characters that explained his situation in detail rather than leave the viewers with a third cliffhanger.